At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our four major business lines include Corporate & Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Commercial Real Estate, and Wells Fargo Commercial Capital. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
Wells Fargo Strategic Capital Technology Division (“WFSC”), a business unit within Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. (“Bank”), is a multi-strategy, principal investment vehicle focused on providing equity and second lien debt capital to high growth technology companies. WFSC invests capital directly from Wells Fargo’s $1.9 trillion balance sheet. The investment vehicle pursues non-control investments across a wide range of subsectors, including software, internet, mobile, financial technology, hardware, and real estate technology. The team typically invests $3-$30 million per transaction and can either lead or follow a round of financing. Recent equity investments include Flexport (technology-driven freight forwarder), Industrious (premium co-working spaces), Canopy Tax (tax practice efficiency and resolution software), and Sitetracker (full lifecycle platform for enterprise asset management).
The Associate position offers a tremendous opportunity for a high-energy candidate who is a motivated self-starter with a demonstrated passion for investing in technology-driven businesses. The Associate will be involved in all aspects of evaluating, executing, and monitoring investment opportunities including participating in management meetings, conducting due diligence, and assisting in portfolio operations. The role involves working closely with a lean, senior team that offers significant upward opportunity for the right candidate.
The Associate position is responsible for providing support to the team in all aspects of potential and active investments where key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Due diligence for potential investments, including market research and analysis, review of technology / industry trends, financial modeling and valuation, and customer reference calls
- Development of financial models relating to financings, restructurings, and liquidity events
- Drafting investment memos and additional written materials including deal summaries, portfolio reviews, and operational updates
- Identifying potential investment opportunities sourced from traditional channels (eg. conferences, demo days, cold calls) and networks
- Tracking industry statistics and maintaining internal databases including deal flow, deal KPIs, and portfolio operating metrics
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
2+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: underwriting, credit, relationship management, portfolio management, equity or venture capital investing experience; or successful completion of Wholesale Credit Management Training Program
Strong accounting skills and ability to analyze financial statements
Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
High level of initiative and accountability
Intermediate Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) skills
Other Desired Qualifications
- 2+ years of work experience in one or a combination of the following: venture capital, growth equity, private equity, investment banking, corporate development, strategy consulting
- Advanced proficiency in financial modeling, valuation, accounting, and data synthesis
- Strong ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast paced, loosely-structured, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong work ethic with an ability to take on a high level of responsibility, initiative, and accountability
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree from a top undergraduate / graduate program with superior academic performance; technical degree strongly preferred
- Working knowledge and interest in technology markets and trends
- Strong familiarity with private equity and/or venture capital deal structures and terms
400 Hamilton Ave - Palo Alto, CA
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.