$110,000 - $160,000
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we're helping developers get public answers to their questions ( http://stackoverflow.com/ ), work more efficiently with their team ( https://stackoverflow.com/enterprise ), or find a new job ( http://stackoverflow.com/jobs ), we build products that make millions of developers' lives better every day. We're looking for a Product Manager to join our team, working on our Developer Advertising ( https://www.stackoverflowbusiness.com/advertising )product suite.
StackOverflow.com today has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. You'll be leading the Advertising product experience for businesses who want to reach developers on one of the largest, most engaging developer sites on the internet. The Advertising product team is responsible for managing the various digital ad types advertisers can buy on Stack Overflow. The ideal candidate has deep domain expertise and experience building products used by advertisers and is excited to grow and improve our existing product suite.
You'll have the opportunity to do a lot. You can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You'll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, sales, marketing, and support teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding through past and new user research of the biggest opportunities to serve different segments of our users. This will include improving the current product suite through extensive testing, iteration and working with our data science team and stakeholders to analyze and deliver new versions of the product to customers. You'll design tests, build prototypes, talk with users, write specs and pitch projects to your team and the company.
- Next 8 months: You can expect to start taking a leadership role developing the long term roadmap for the Advertising product team. You'll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for targeted and relevant content for developers that use Stack Overflow.
We like to work in public. Not only does that mean being open within the company about what the product team is building, we also try and bring the developer community in as soon as we're able. Here are some examples of how we have done this historically:
- 2019 Developer Survey ( https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/375907/developer-survey-2019-any-topic-suggestions/ )
- All sites will be switching to Ad Servers ( https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/301524/all-sites-will-be-switching-ad-servers-on-october-1 )
- How We Make Money at Stack Overflow: 2016 Edition ( https://stackoverflow.blog/2016/11/15/how-we-make-money-at-stack-overflow-2016-edition/ )
- Introducing Text Ads! AKA Sponsoring That Fine Manual! ( https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/368378/introducing-text-ads-aka-sponsoring-that-fine-manual )
Most of the Ads team works out of New York, so being co-located is preferred. However, we're looking to hire the best person wherever you are in the world. We work remotely ( http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2013/02/why-we-still-believe-in-working-remotely ) so you can work from home and interact with the team over Google Hangouts and chat, usually during US or European working hours. We have offices in New York, London and Munich, so if you're in (or want to relocate to) one of those cities you can, and our offices are awesome ( https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/companies/stack-overflow ).
Skills & Requirements:
What you'll do:
What we want to see:
- Help set the product strategy for Stack Overflow Ads, and lead the team that is executing on that strategy
- Contribute to user research and customer segmentation to understand the needs of our customers and developers that consume ad content.
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the company and community
- Start with high-level goals, turn them into detailed functional specs, and work with developers and designers to create rapid prototypes
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of ad types, and administer split tests to learn whether a change is an improvement
- Interact with our community of developers to gather ideas and feedback
- Support go-to-market strategies with the marketing and customer success teams
- A track record of coming up with ideas for, building, and shipping digital and mobile advertising products.
- Hands on experience with ad server and targeting technologies, specifically Double Click for Publishers and Google Ad Manager.
- Minimum of 4 years as a product manager/product owner
- A deep understanding of the digital Advertising industry, best practices, trends, and products
- Excellent spec-writing and UX skills
- An understanding of the technical implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, many of our team members are remote
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that's meta or forum posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
If this job interests you but you aren't certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway ( https://www.themuse.com/advice/8-ways-you-can-still-land-an-interview-when-you-dont-meet-all-the-requirements )!
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.