****This Position is Located in Springfield, IL****
Position Title: Information Systems AdvisorMainframe Server Support:
Illinois Secretary of State has an immediate opportunity for a IBM Mainframe (Z series) Server Administration expert with preferably 10+ years of specific experience in technical administration, configuration, troubleshooting and support in IBM Z series mainframe and related/supporting technologies as defined below in the position responsibilities. This position leads other technicians in completing assigned technical tasks, troubleshooting issues, supporting corporate and departmental projects, researching technological solutions to business challenges, providing continuous improvement to existing systems and processes, and being an interface to, and resource for, other IT areas such as Computer Operations and Systems Development, which support the mission critical applications.
This position leads all aspects of the Administration, Support, Configuration, Patching and other maintenance of the Mainframe server and related technologies. This position requires a highly motivated individual possessing strong analytical skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, a high level of accountability, and ability to work within a team environment. The candidate, to meet the minimum requirements for a passing score for this title must have two years of college with coursework in computer science field or four years of technical systems and programming experience or any equivalent combination of the two. A candidate with a college degree or equivalent experience with the ability to work either independently or as a team member on complex issues and support efforts is preferred. The candidate must have proven strength in the following job related characteristics: work standards, accountability, sense of urgency, communications, customer focus, interpersonal skills, planning and organizing, and teamwork.
Participates in and leads work on the team including extensive research, support, troubleshooting, analysis, definition and documentation on all facets of the job. Works with minimal supervision and is responsible to make an established range of decisions, escalates to senior management when necessary and updates management on a regular basis.
- Preferably 10+ years’ experience in IBM System Z (z/os) installation, operations, maintenance, security and planning skills.
- Preferably 10+ years’ experience as a Z/vm administrator, performing installation and maintenance of operating system, building and administering virtual Linux severs that run under the Z/vm operating system
- Perform as RACF security administrator for Z/os mainframe operations. Including administration of users, userids, dataset profiles, application security, LDAP applications and all access to Z/os system.
- Requires working knowledge in Linux operating systems
- Will be required to perform on going Z/os – Z/vm system performance analysis, by examining and reviewing RMF and SMF performance reports. Make tuning and performance modifications as needed based on workloads, using WLM. Will be asked to recommend hardware and software upgrades based on these performance workloads.
- Superior working knowledge of an IBM z/OS Sysplex environment.
- Perform all aspects of DASD administration. Including distributing DASD space to user applications, user groups, imaging and Z/os – Z/vm operating systems. Must be able to configure new DASD subsystems and DASD devices from the hardware level.
- Required to configure all hardware attached to the Z/os and Z/vm mainframe systems using HCD.
- Understanding of IBM licensing metrics and requirements
- Knowledge of IBM Mainframe applications and systems.
- Assume a leading role in annual Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Tests
- Participate in the on call rotation to provide after hours and weekend support
- Ensure performance to Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- Create and maintain operational system documentation
- Provides excellent customer service. Continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Demonstrates an expert understanding of z/OS utilities, tools, operation, and configuration, as related to the installation, maintenance, security and support of mainframe software products.
- Ensures the availability of the mainframe by installing, maintaining, and supporting all Z/OS systems in a non-disruptive manner.
- Ensures the full use of licensed software product functionality to meet business requirements; reduce costs; and improve functionality, processes, and/or performance.
- Effectively communicates technical information to peers and management, and can provide training to other staff as needed.
- Adheres to company policy with regard to security, change management, and other established controls in the IT environment.
- Demonstrates expert analytic problem solving.
- Willingness to receive and/or request training as needed for work assignments, relevant technology, and personal development.
- Expert proficiency in mainframe technical support will typically be demonstrated by formal education in a related field, or by equivalent work experience.
- Proven knowledge of, and ability to use/support mainframe software products.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and communicate technical information effectively.
- Proven performance in both a team environment, and in an individual, minimally supervised role.
- Ability to work with both IT and Business Area experts.
- Ability to work with senior IT and Business leadership/Management.
- Knowledge of structured programming and design techniques.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess outstanding customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong self-motivation & Excellent work ethic
- Highest level of personal integrity and ethics
- Seeks to continually improve and learn
- Ability to take direction and work independently with general guidance in a structured environment
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to produce quality work on tight schedules as part of a team.
Job Type: Full-time