Identify and record species of forest products delivered
Record length and diameters as necessary for gross scale
Determine and deduct from gross scale any defect or volume loss using applicable methods based on Region 6 USFS Log Scale rules
Assess and record any log quality infractions based on set specifications
Identify each load of logs presented for scaling or log quality inspections
Mark out cull logs and logs that contain hardware that can cause equipment damage or safety hazards
Perform mill and production work during downtime.
- Familiar with the Idaho Log Scaling Manual and applicable Taper Tables
- Available for all shifts including weekend work.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs., stand up to 10 hours a day, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, stoop and bend at waist, and move equipment as needed
- Must be comfortable in year-round outdoor temperatures, in loud conditions, with airborne particles (sawdust), and working around moving mechanical equipment.
- Ethical log scaling practices required
- Required to operate can puncturing stations and keep log yard empty of paint cans;
- Must have an aptitude for Math and Algebra
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Must be within acceptable tolerances on scale checks
- Must be able to scale each log on its own merit without regard to overrun and/or underrun
- Must hold a current scaler's license or acquire one within a reasonable period
- Minimum of 3 years of log scaling experience required
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages preferred.
401(k) with a 6% company match- vested IMMEDIATELY!
Medical / Dental / Vision Options
Company Profit Sharing
Paid Time off & 9 Paid Holidays
Employee Referral program; earn a $500-$1000 bonus for a successful referral
Wellness Program with reward incentives
Tuition Reimbursement, Apprenticeships, Career Development
Access to company-owned land for recreation
And much more!
For details about employee benefits and Stimson values:
Who is Stimson Lumber?
Stimson Lumber is a leader in the forest products and natural resources industry, with over 650 employees and locations across Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. We have a progressive, forward-thinking culture focusing on the development of our people. Our employees are given the tools and opportunities to maximize their talent to achieve professional and personal goals. We have been a recognized leader in our industry for decades because of our commitment to quality, customer service, and continuous improvement mentality.
Why work at Stimson Lumber?
We hire people who are passionate about what they do every day, have a desire to make a difference and thrive in a team environment. We reward our employees through competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and advancement opportunities while being a great place to work. As an equal opportunity employment company, we value the diversity of individuals, ideas, perspectives, insights and values, and those influences upon the workplace. Applications are welcome from all qualified candidates. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment assessments.