The New York Structural Biology Center (NYSBC) seeks an experienced electron microscopist to join the staff of the Simons Electron Microscopy Center (SEMC) (http://semc.nysbc.org). The NYSBC is a shared center that supports state-of-the-art research in EM, NMR, and X-ray crystallography. The facilities include six transmission electron microscopes (including three Titan Krios instruments) and a dual-beam scanning electron microscope equipped with a cryo stage. Projects focus on 3D reconstruction of biological assemblies using techniques including microED, single particle reconstruction, tomography, and preparation of FIB milled lamellae.
To assist in these developments, NYSBC seeks an individual with experience in biological electron microscopy and image processing. This individual will carry out experiments in support of collaborative projects with affiliated investigators and will also have opportunities to pursue independent research projects. The individual should be capable of multitasking, should enjoy working with other people, should have a good working knowledge of electron microscopes and a strong research background. Good communication skills are essential.
- Operating and maintaining cryo-EM and related instrumentation
- Training facility users on the use of image processing applications and analysis
- Providing consultation to users on data analysis and interpretation of results
- Providing administrative and logistical support of day-to-day operations, including session scheduling, usage tracking and reporting, and materials acquisition
- Bachelor's degree in science required plus five years of cryo-EM experience, OR Master’s degree in science and three years of cryo-EM experience, OR PhD with cryo-EM as the focus of a thesis research
- Firm understanding of the principles of transmission electron microscopy and demonstrated skill and experience in the operation of cryo-electron microscopes
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment such as the ability to read, write, comprehend, and discuss research materials
- Advanced degree in structural biology, biophysics, biochemistry, computer science, engineering or closely related field
- Familiarity with biological structures at some level
- Ability to contribute to experimental design and assist with the analysis and interpretation of results
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems
- Hands-on experience in maintenance and alignment of electron microscopes
- Experience with macromolecular model building in cryo-EM density maps
- Experience in working in a Linux/UNIX environment and with cluster computing
To apply, please send a curriculum vitae and the names of three references.
Job Type: Full-time
- cryo-EM: 2 years (Preferred)
- electron microscope: 2 years (Required)
- United States (Preferred)