The Alameda County Bar Association (ACBA) is a 1,500 member voluntary bar association with an annual administrative budget of $1.6 million. The ACBA manages public service programs including: a criminal court appointed attorneys program, a State-Bar certified lawyer referral service, and the Volunteer Legal Services Corporation, a separately incorporated 501(c)(3) corporation, providing free civil legal services to low-income people of Alameda County using the pro bono services of volunteer attorneys. The ACBA maintains twelve practice area Sections and five committees, is an approved MCLE provider, and hosts a number of special events each year to foster relations among the bar, the bench, and the community. An annual print publication, A Year in Review, a bi-weekly e-newsletter, a bi-weekly MCLE digest, a blog, regular email blasts to members, a website and social media including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, all serve as communication links with the ACBA membership. There are currently 18 staff positions (including the CEO).
The CLE Attorney/Coordinator position at the Alameda County Bar Association is a non-exempt position reporting to the Associate Director. The CLE Coordinator is responsible for maintaining and expanding the ACBA’s high quality Minimum Continuing Legal Education programs, working closely with the fifteen practice area sections and also identifying education needs outside of the Sections.
This position is a non-exempt part-time (25 hours/week) position with some flexibility in schedule. This position is required to work in the evening a few times a month for meetings, events, and/or MCLE programs. The position does include the ACBA’s benefits package.
- Identify education and networking needs of the membership and oversee, develop, organize, and staff high-quality Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) programs and other events that meet those needs, including MCLE Compliance Countdown and Boot C& create and adhere to project timelines and budgets; evaluate the success of programs and make appropriate recommendations to management.
- Help the Sections implement their MCLE ideas when necessary, including contacting speakers and coordinating outlines and publicity
- Develop non-Section sponsored educational activities in response to community interest and need
- Serve as liaison and resource to the fifteen practice area sections of the ACBA; ensure sections comply with ACBA policies and procedures; promote participation in sections by organizing appropriate events, educational programs, and other activities; coordinate and provide administrative assistance for section elections and executive committee meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned including attending evening networking events on occasion.
- Bachelors’ degree required; JD preferred but not required. Bar passage not required.
- Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to track data and work quickly and accurately with numbers and written information, with great attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word) and web browsers
- Professional demeanor
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Work well in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with volunteers and committees helpful
- High-energy, motivated and enthusiastic personality helpful
- Sense of humor and collegiality required.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $36,000.00 /year
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Required)
- Administrative: 1 year (Preferred)