** To be considered, applicants must submit an application on the City's website.**
FINAL FILING DATE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2023, at 5:30 p.m.
Duties: The Maintenance Worker position is represented by Teamsters 1932 and under direct supervision, performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks and duties assigned to classes within the Maintenance Worker series.
When Assigned to Water: Assists in the construction and repair of water distribution mainlines, water service lines, valves, hydrants and related facilities. Assists in various maintenance programs, including but not limited to, flushing mains, meter pressure checks and repair, and mapping.
When Assigned to Streets: Repairs and patches streets by hand, including hot and cold asphalt applications. Performs a variety of tasks related to the maintenance and repair of open storm drain channels. Assists in road and shoulder grading maintenance programs. Assists in the painting of curbs, legends, and street striping. Maintains street signs, traffic signals and other traffic control devices. Assists in graffiti removal and other general maintenance activities.
Qualifications: Requires a high school diploma or GED, and two (2) years of related public works experience; or any combination of education and/or experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance.
License/Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class ‘C’ California driver’s license. A valid Class ‘A’ California driver’s license will be required prior to the completion of probation. When assigned to Water a Grade 1 Water Distribution Operator Certificate, per the State Water Resources Control Board, is required prior to completion of probation.
Please visit the Employment page at http://www.cityofhesperia.us/660/Job-Classifications to view full job description and expanded list of qualifications.
Prior Public Service—CalPERS Formula 2.7% @ 55 (Employee contributes 8% (employee cost) and 1% (cost sharing) of annual salary)
- CalPERS Pension Reform Formula 2% @ 62 (Employee contributes 7.75% (normal cost) of annual salary)
- Health Benefits – up to $1,550 per month toward medical, dental and vision insurance
- City paid
o Employee Only Premium for Dental Insurance
o Employee Only Premium for Vision Insurance
o Life Insurance ($30,000 city paid)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance participation required
- Vacation (80 hours accrued during first year)
- 12 paid holidays
- Sick leave (96 hours per year)
- 457 (b) Deferred Compensation Program available
- IRS 125 Plan Flexible Spending Accounts available
- Employee Assistance Program available
- Tuition Reimbursement Program (Up to $3,000 a fiscal year available for eligible employees).
- The City does not participate in the Social Security program, except for the mandatory 1.45% Medicare Contribution
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $4,296.00 - $5,223.00 per month
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Opportunities for advancement
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person