Under broad supervision of an attorney, provides legal support services to internal counsel with an emphasis on matters related coverage litigation or corporate matters. May deal with highly sensitive information.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Performs timely handling of highly sensitive issues and materials related to all areas of operation within the organization. Monitors files and escalates issues requiring attorney involvement
Analyzes contracts, reports, financial data, depositions, discovery, investigative and other documents, preparing summaries of same as requested.
Collaborates with attorneys and business partners to gather information. Reviews business files providing oversight and suggestions to attorneys and others on appropriate action steps. May interview witnesses and others as required. May locate, contact and act as liaison for expert witnesses in a variety of fields.
Under attorney direction may draft reports, contracts, opinions, position papers, filings, pleadings, motions, interrogatories and other documents as necessary and assures organization of supporting files. May draft legal documents in compliance with court requests and applicable federal, state, local or administrative regulations. Drafts and prepares correspondence and other written documents as required.
May handle tracking and disposition of subpoenas or other requests for information.
Performs legal and factual research and keeps current with procedures used by local, state and federal courts or administrative agencies. Reviews and keeps current on evolving case law and new legislation affecting compliance and litigation within area of expertise
Collaboratively works with internal and external legal staff on various projects. Responds to information requests.
Maintains internal records in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
9. Files documents timely and appropriately with courts and other parties.
10. Accountable for organizing and maintaining all files (electronic, paper and other) and legal archives.
11. Schedules and coordinates attorney and case load calendars.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Manager or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge and application of legal research tools, legal theories and insurance practices.
2. Requires a strong working knowledge of area of specialization (litigation defense, coverage, policy interpretation, etc)
3. Solid analytical and drafting skills.
Excellent internal/external customer interactive skills.
5. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite, legal research tools and business related software systems such as TeamConnect, Adobe, SmartDraw or others.
Excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks.
8. Ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey information in a clear, concise and effective manner.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree, and/or completion of an accredited paralegal program, or equivalent.
Typically a minimum of three to five years of prior paralegal and/or administrative experience in area of responsibility (coverage litigation).
Insurance background preferred.