Decommissioning Technician – Data Technician 1
The Decommissioning Technical team is responsible for processing and facilitating large scale legacy Data Center equipment through a liquidation process to ensure that targeted equipment is ready to be removed off premises. Team members will also process large volumes of customer data to ensure that all customer data is sanitized and properly managed.
This Entry Level position requires candidates to be a self-starter, highly motivated individual who can adhere to strict processes and be able to perform repetitive tasks with no deviation and demonstrate continuously consistent results.
Team Members will be working in a team environment not only with other members of the team but also from other teams and must be able to communicate and promote cross-team functionality.
This is an entry level position and qualified candidates do not require intimate details of software operations or networking protocols.
Amazon Data Centers takes customer data with the utmost importance, and selected candidates must be able to perform repetitive tasks without variance and adhere to strict Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) that ensures customer data is protected and properly handled.
Data Center Technicians (Decommission Technician) will be responsible for:
Qualified Candidates must be:
- Decommissioning and processing of legacy hardware out of the data center facilities
- Moving/lifting packages usually no greater than 75 lbs.
- Unpacking/repacking fragile electronics
- Relocating and moving of large enterprise equipment
- Creating/attaching labels and barcodes
- Hard drive installation and removal, and destruction
- Basic Networking removal/installation and clearing of configurations.
- Physical layer and Application layer
- Updating progress through a web ticketing system
- Reporting of processes and regular status updates
- Documenting procedures
- Escalating to senior technicians and management as needed/required
- Familiarity with basic PC components/hardware:
- HDD/SSD/Flash/Removable storage media
- Ram/CPU/Motherboard/Input-Output devices
- Experience with a ticketing system is a plus but not required
- Work well with others and communicate/promote cross team funtionality
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Perform duties constantly and without deviations unless otherwise instructed
- The position has a physical component requiring the ability to lift up to 75 lbs. and may require working in cramped spaces or elevated locations.
- Relocation of Large enterprise equipment may be required, candidates must be able to document and track equipment during relocation efforts.
- Amazon.com Data Centers are 24x7 environments. All interested candidates must be willing to work rotating shifts (day/night) as well as weekends. Data Center Technicians may also be required to wear a pager for communication, information, emergency, and on-call situations.
- Employment for all candidates is contingent upon pass a background check.
- A highly motivated, dependable individual
- Have strong attention to detail, maintain high quality standards
- Learn quickly
- Highly motivated
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Basic Understanding of computer hardware and components.
- Previous experience working on IT equipment (racking & stacking gear, cable management, building computers, troubleshooting PC/Desktops/Laptops)
- Previous experience migrating and decommissioning of data center assets a plus.
- Cisco switch configurations
Physical Requirements for the Data Center Operations
- Walk jobsites in uneven terrain.
- Regularly walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 41 pounds or more.
- Work shifts longer than eight hours in duration.
- Respond to off hour emergency calls.
- Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment
- Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance
- Occasional bending or twisting of the body
- Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired
- Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects
- Apply muscular force quickly to objects and equipment
- Push or pull heavy objects into position
Work in a noisy areas with hotter and colder temperatures than standard office environmental conditions.
- Occasional work in tight and/or narrow spaces, such as under raised floors
Associate's degree in IT-related field plus two years of progressively responsible experience preferred
- candidates possess a valid driver's license, their own vehicle, and will need to pass a driving record check to operate company vehicles.
- Travel between sites/locations during the workday may/will occur.