The City of Santa Clarita is committed to providing challenging and meaningful work experience for college students. The City offers unique opportunities for students to gain hands-on and in-depth experience in a variety of disciplines related to local, regional, state, and federal government operations. We provide real-world work assignments, which provide interns the opportunity to work side-by-side with professional City staff, committed to teamwork and providing superior municipal services to the community of Santa Clarita.
The following skills, knowledge, and abilities are highly desirable for program participation:
- General understanding of governmental organizations and municipal
- An interest in City Management
- An interest in or experience with the federal or state legislative process
- Ability to apply research techniques, survey methods, and data collection
- Excellent customer service and presentation skills
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with all levels of staff and
- Computer experience including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Basic knowledge of budget/financial analysis and management principles
Education and Experience:
If you are an undergraduate or graduate student or recent graduate studying Public Administration, Political Science, or a closely related field, and are interested in gaining meaningful hands-on work experience at the local government level, this program may be for you.