The City of Chandler Airport is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of AIRPORT OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN - CDL. The work schedule will be Wednesday through Saturday, 5:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. The ideal candidate has prior airport operations or private fixed base operator experience and strong communication and customer service skills. The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B with tank endorsement within six (6) months of hire.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to assist in the day-to-day operations and duties associated with the safety, operations, maintenance and security of the City of Chandler's Municipal Airport; An employee in this class may be assigned may be called to respond to emergencies and must be able to work overtime including nights and weekends as required.
Essential Functions (list not exhaustive):
• Assists in maintaining the Chandler Municipal Airport to meet Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and advisory circulars for airport operations;
• Responds to aircraft emergencies (working with Fire, Police, Air Traffic Control, and the FAA), tower equipment failure, facility equipment failure, airfield navigational aides, airfield lighting failures, building/structure emergencies, pavement failures, hazardous incidents and related emergency situations;
• Performs a wide variety of construction, maintenance and repair work for airport buildings, hangars, pavement, airfield lighting, security lighting, security fencing, aviation fuel storage and dispensing, as well as other facilities and grounds;
• Performs daily inspections of all airport safety, security and operational areas and equipment including runway and taxiways, airfield lighting, parking aprons, hangars, terminal buildings, fuel storage areas and perimeter fences and gates for compliance with Federal, State and local airport rules and regulations;
• Maintains, repairs, troubleshoots and inspects high voltage constant current airfield lighting systems; including large diesel emergency generators and airfield constant current regulators, runways, taxiways, obstruction lighting, navigational aids, airfield signage along with various security and general lighting on the airport for safety;
• Maintains paint striping on all runways and taxiways for both aircraft and ground maintenance and service vehicles;
• Maintains, repairs, and inspects building and grounds including painting, mowing, irrigating, carpentry, weed control, and related duties;
• Assists with issuing Notices to Airmen (NOTAM's) to report activity or conditions affecting flight operation;
• Communicates daily with air traffic control and pilots with VHF radio equipment;
• Operates airport sweeper to keep airport pavement free of foreign objects and debris;
• Assists the public; responds to routine questions or complaints, or requests for service, initiates problem resolution;
• Performs duties to monitor and enforce security regulations, fire and life safety codes and vehicle operation and parking rules;
• Provides aircraft towing and emergency removal or coordinates activities;
• Assists with aviation fuel inventory, distribution system, monitoring systems, quality control and completes weekly fuel sales reports;
• Maintains work records, including complaint resolutions, maintenance and repair logs, vehicle inspection forms, daily work logs, FAA inspection records and other documentation;
• Notifies, pilots, tenants and businesses of work being performed; responds to questions or complaints, notifies affected users of outages, or requests for service, initiates problem resolution;
• Performs various administrative duties such as processing leases and access control cards;
• Operates and performs inspections on all vehicles and heavy equipment including but not limited to, airport sweeper, water truck, scissor lifts, haul truck, tractor & attachments, and service vehicles;
• Performs general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep vehicles, equipment, and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking fluid levels, replacing fluids, greasing equipment, replacing parts, washing/cleaning equipment, or cleaning shop/work areas; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
• High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
• Three years experience in ground and facilities maintenance and operations; and
• Ability to obtain and maintain the appropriate license/certification through the Office of Pest Management within six (6) months of hire or promotion date depending on assignment; and
• Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License Class B with tank endorsement within six (6) months of hire or promotion date; and
• 40-Hour Hazwoper Certification within six months of hire or promotion date; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Experience at an airport in a maintenance or operations capacity.
• Experience with aviation fuel storage and dispensing systems.
The position available is a full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment drug/alcohol test and a MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon acceptable results.
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity & Reasonable Accommodation.