- High School Diploma or GED
- Aseptic Technique
- BLS Certification
Works under the supervision of the O.R. Manager, coordinator, charge nurse, and Director of Surgical Services. May be a LPN or a trained surgical technologist who scrubs, dons a sterile gown and gloves to assist the surgeon by providing sterile instruments and supplies required. Arranges instruments and supplies appropriately on the sterile field; opens and prepares sutures as indicated, passes instruments as requested, etc. May ocassionally circulate with the RN in the room. Strives for superior performance by consistently providing a product of service to leadership and staff that is recognized as ultimately contributing to the patient and family experience. As a customer-focused Memorial Healthcare team member, he/she must be accessible, flexible, knowledgeable, and responsive.
RESPONSIBLE TO: O.R. Manager, Coordinator, Director of Surgical Services, Charge Nurse
WORKERS SUPERVISED: None
INTERRELATIONSHIPS: Physicians, Anesthesia Staff
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Efficiently prepares equipment and packs for the operative procedure.
2. Applies principles of aseptic technique during surgical procedures, including proper scrubbing, gowning and gloving self and other surgical team members.
3. Identifies and obtains needed supplies and equipment.
4. Assists in assuring correct sponge, needle, and instrument counts.
5. Identifies and labels specimens appropriately.
6. Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff.
7. Cleans up room after case completed.
8. Maintains specialty carts.
9. Maintains mandatory competencies.
10. Attends inservice education programs as assigned to learn new procedures, skills, etc.
11. Seeks help from professional staff if additional skill is required
12. Responsible for own surgical procedure competencies.
13. Demonstrates job related aspects of patient safety to assure a safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient occurrences.
14. Demonstrates knowledge of and supports hospital mission, vision, value statements, standards of care, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality statements, corporate compliance plan, standards of behavior, customer service standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
15. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served on his/her assigned unit. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's and division's policies and procedures.
16. Performs other specific duties as assigned.
A. High school graduate or equivalent.
B. All candidates must have completed an approved (NCCT, AST) program as a surgical technologist.
C. LPN candidates must be a graduate of an accredited school or practical nursing with a current license to practice in the state of Michigan.
D. Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider required upon hire and ongoing.
A. Previous experience in multiple surgical specialties is preferred.
3. JOB KNOWLEDGE
A. Knowledge of aseptic technique, surgical instruments and appropriate sterilization methods, surgical procedures, special equipment and supplies needed so as to properly anticipate surgeon’s needs.
4. ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
A. Travel independently within the department/hospital.
B. Access a patient on the surgery table and necessary equipment.
C. Stand for long periods of time.
D. Hand instruments to the surgeon.
E. Scrub, gown, and glove in proper sequence.
F. Move heavy equipment and non-mobile patients.
5. ESSENTIAL MENTAL ABILITIES
A. Follow complex directions.
B. Anticipate items needed.
C. Function and work well under pressure and physical strain.
D. React quickly in urgent situations.
6. ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL/MOTOR SKILLS
A. Hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills for handling of instruments, and assisting surgeon during procedures.
7. ESSENTIAL SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
A. Communicate effectively and expressively in English, both written and verbal, with diverse populations, including surgeons, staff members, patients, families, and volunteers.
B. Identify instruments and supplies.
C. Hear instructions from surgical team.
D. Accurately hear communication by phone or in person.
E. Maintain self control.
8. INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
A. Interact effectively with physicians, patients and their families, and other Memorial Healthcare staff to provide appropriate and complete patient care.
B. Maintain a professional and courteous manner.
C. Maintain confidentiality.