Berry Global (NYSE: BERY) is a $7.1B global manufacturer and marketer of plastic packaging products. Headquartered in Evansville Indiana, Berry operates over 125 global manufacturing facilities and employs over 23,000 individuals. At Berry Global, we pursue excellence in all that we do and are always advancing to improve the way we work along with the products and services we provide. With our proven expertise in packaging and protection solutions, and our dedicated insights team that follows trends across a wide range of industries, we are uniquely positioned to serve a broad range of markets and customer needs. Our culture fosters trust and partnerships through appreciation, acknowledgement, and inclusion. Here at Berry we are continuously improving to support our mission and exemplify our values of partnerships, excellence, growth and safety. We encourage you to be a part of Berry Global, the company that is always advancing to protect what’s important!
Implements and maintains company policies and directs and coordinates human resources activities, such as employment, compensation, employee relations, benefits, training, and employee services for multiple plant locations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates. Position will be based in Victoria, TX.
- Performs duties in a safe manner; acts as a role model for Safety. Conducts safety audits; identifies and resolves safety issues; participates in safety programs by reporting unsafe conditions, near misses and unsafe acts. Is a member of the Leadership Safety Committee and attends monthly meetings. Provides backup in EH&S in the absence of the EHS Manager.
- Participates in implementing and administering company policies and developing long-range goals and objectives for the Plant. Serves as member of management committees to align business goals with HR support function.
- Analyzes wage and salary reports to determine competitive compensation plan. Makes recommendations to management on appropriate salary levels and manages salary budget process. Develops and administers employee retention and recognition programs.
- Oversees the development and training of company personnel by providing comprehensive and cost effective employee training programs. Oversees needs assessment, definition of core competencies, development of curriculum and preparation of marketing materials to disseminate information and encourage participation.
- Selects, trains and develops Human Resources professionals providing HR support in recruitment, selection, employee relations, compensation, benefits administration, training and Affirmative Action at multiple sites.
- Coaches and develops management team members and supervisory staff. Provide leadership, vision and development of staff through training, coaching and mentoring.
- Oversees the staffing function for the Plant. Ensures that all selection processes are consistent with local law as and regulations. Develops testing and assessment tools for selection processes. Prepares written guidelines for candidate interview/assessment. Develops probationary period standards and evaluation process to reduce employee dissatisfaction and turn over and increase management awareness and effectiveness.
- Conducts investigations of policy violations or EEO/AA issues. Provides guidance on disciplinary matters; takes appropriate actions and documents findings.
- Promotes company benefits and programs to all employees; encourages participation in community activities.
- Writes memos and other correspondence advising department managers of company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits.
- Participates and leads employee improvement teams to promote positive employee relations; promotes programs and encourages employee participation.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization. Ensures the security of employee data and records.
- Travels to various facilities for training, seminars and conferences.
- Education: Knowledge normally acquired through completion of a four (4) year degree in a Human Resources, Business or other closely related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: In addition to the educational requirements, 10 plus years’ experience in a progressively responsible management role with responsibility for overseeing a variety of HR functions. Previous manufacturing experience preferred.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
Other Skills And Abilities
- Bi-lingual, preferred (English/Spanish).
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Human Resource systems; Payroll systems; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. Experience with Microsoft Office products desirable.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as commissions, proportions, percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Job Type: Full-time
- human resources leadership: 7 years (Required)
- Manufacturing: 5 years (Required)