An important part of the patient care team, an MOA consistently exhibits the core principles of patient- and family-centered care. The Medical Office Assistant PEM works closely with patients and families, management, staff and clinicians and is responsible for the success of all front desk functions in the ambulatory/clinic site. Common duties of this position include answering the phone, triaging patient calls, registering patients in the hospital mainframe, preparation of chart contents, records retrieval and filling and collecting payments from responsible party, and assisting patients with the patient portal. Connecting and communicating with patients while facilitating the transition to and from the clinical team is a key function. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in the The Methodist Mission, Vision and Values.
High School Diploma or GED or equivalent education/experience.
Medical terminology knowledge preferred/Coding knowledge preferred.
One year medical office experience or 2-3 years of health related hospital work experience.
- Ability to work without close supervision and to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet programs and standard office equipment.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with others.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and projects and maintain control of workflow.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Receives and registers patients presenting at the clinics.
- Responds to incoming calls and provides information and assistance to caller.
- Completes tasks related to billing of clinic visit.
- Performs clerical duties.
- Demonstrates initiative in identifying opportunities for self-development and enhancement of professional competency.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: light work - exerting up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- The conditions to which the Associate will be subject in this position: The Associate is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions; job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work.