As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement
Partners HealthCare is embarking on a new Enterprise Data and Digital Health (EDDH) initiative focused on establishing best-in-class data analytics, digital competencies and tools to deliver superior care and experience for our patients. The organization is dedicated to creating a cutting-edge data science environment that supports patient discovery, cohort formation and patient disease stratification.
The Research Information Science & Computing (RISC) group of Partners HealthCare plays a critical role in ensuring the success of this initiative. Our focus is on accelerating the digital transformation of healthcare by redefining how data is used to improve patient outcomes. To better enable researchers and clinicians, we are building tools, repositories, and new data workflows optimized for data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Our group is looking for an experienced, high performing, hands-on Big Data/Cloud Engineer to be a key member of this fast-paced team within the Big Data Commons project, as well as participating in other project activities, including migrating different functions to a cloud-based system. This position will be responsible for creating, modifying and expanding our data analytics to include Big Data and Cloud technologies. You will help define and build the next iterations of features for enterprise-wide data integration and data science.
The ideal candidate should have prior experience in the implementation of a modern Big Data architecture and the design and implementation of analytical data platforms. S/he should have deep technical and analytical skills with a rich knowledge of accepted best practices around data flow, data transformation and data ingestion. To quickly get up to speed, a solid understanding of metadata catalogs, data governance, data science and data mining in Big Data technologies in Cloud, hybrid and/or on-premise environments is essential.
The ideal person must love a challenge and feel comfortable working on an evolving project in which the specific goals and deliverables are subject to change.
This position will report to the RISC Senior Manager and will be working closely with other architects, engineers, developers, analysts and research-based teams around the enterprise.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of Sr Manager work with cross functional technical and analytical teams to understand current and future enterprise-wide Big Data analytics goals spanning disparate platforms
- Participate hands-on in the projects to design, develop and deploy advanced systems for the collection, aggregation and analysis of those data in alignment with business objectives
- Build serverless data ingestion and refresh pipelines in terabyte scale using MS Azure cloud services
- Work closely with the Big Data Architect to design networks, systems, and storage environment that effectively reflect business needs, security requirements, and service level requirements
- Help with Big Data and Cloud based technology assessments, strategies, and roadmaps in several technical domains and act as a subject matter expert on Big Data
- Collaborate with data engineers to drive and build innovative solutions, defining best practices and methodologies
- Participate in configuring the architecture and advise on solutions configured for efficient performance
- Assist data scientists, SMEs, Data Engineers and Big Data Cloud Architects in deploying and testing AI and machine learning algorithms
- Participate in cross-team code reviews among data engineering personnel
- Stay informed on initiatives across the industry and the enterprise to help leadership effectively prioritize current and future Big Data needs
- Exhibit willingness and participate actively in agile practices by collaborating with the Senior Manager and team members
- Provide adequate documentation to effectively communicate architectural designs and data inputs, outputs and workflows for technical and nontechnical audiences
- Works closely with the RISC leadership, RISC Technical, other RISC managers and IT colleagues to support corporate/functional business and information needs
- Help to establish processes to ensure HIPPA and institutional compliance in all aspects of the work
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in computer science or a healthcare related informatics field
- 5+ years of building and maintaining sophisticated enterprise software systems and/or large analytical platforms through multiple release cycles and upgrades
- Experience in a wide variety of traditional databases and Big Data technologies, developing strategies for data flow, data obfuscation, archiving and other aspects of data warehouses or data lakes
- 3+ years of experience working in a public and/or private cloud environments such as Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud with knowledge of how to integrate with processing and messaging stacks such as Databricks, Spark, Azure EventHub, and/or Kafka.
- Knowledge of Big Data & Data Engineering, with deep, hands-on technical experience in tools, libraries, and frameworks using traditional database enterprise-class RDBMS technologies, preferably MS SQL Server, and Big Data NoSQL like technologies, such as CosmosDB, Dynamo, ArangoDB, HDFS and Hive, and/or Hbase. Experience includes creating data integration systems spanning a variety of modern architectural paradigms, including event based, streaming, and near real time design patterns
- Preferred experience working with data/Big Data in HealthCare, including genomics, imaging and HER
- Successful track record of delivering results on scope, on time, on budget
- Knowledge of HIPPA, privacy regulations regarding patient data security and/or research related practices is a plus
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to work in one or more cloud computing environments
- Able to work in a highly-collaborative team and provide valuable insight
- Able to document requirements and complex data architectures
- Able to inform the project management process with thoughtful and accurate timeframe estimates
- Able work efficiently under pressure and to manage to tight deadlines or shifting priorities
- Enjoy being challenged and solving complex problems
- Self-motivated, independent and possesses the ability to learn quickly
- Familiarity with medical terminology and healthcare concepts is a significant plus
Working with our team on site in Somerville as well as traveling to meet collaborators at multiple sites in the local Boston area. 5 – 10% travel outside of Boston may be required.
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
MA-Somerville-PHS Assembly Row
PHS Assembly Row 399 Revolution Drive Somerville 02145
Business and Systems Analyst
PHS Enterprise Data & Digital Health
Oct 18, 2019