CDL Class A Driver
BASIC PURPOSE AND FUNCTION: Operates a tractor-trailer combination to deliver grocery products to Jewel stores. When performing yard duty, must position trailers at the appropriate dock for loading product. Also, must pick up product from vendors for return to the warehouse.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Delivers grocery products to retail units on local routes by operating a tractor-trailer combination. Must accurately count and secure back haul loads and possess knowledge of DOT weight distribution regulations and load back hauls in compliance with those regulations.
- Performs pre-trip inspection on the tractor and trailer per DOT regulations which includes a visual inspection of the tractor-trailer for visible damage.
- Lifts the dock plate into place to unload the truck with the assistance of store personnel. On occasion may restack a pallet load that has fallen over during transport or may unstack top cases to allow the pallet to exit the truck using proper body mechanics.
- Completes federally regulated documents associated with operating a tractor-trailer to include the on-board computer.
- Follow company procedures. Ensure a safe work environment.
- Responsible for performing all job duties with honesty and integrity.
SKILLS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must possess the appropriate licenses as defined by the Department of Transportation rules and regulations, as well as meeting all of the other criteria defined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations. Must have a minimum of 3 years of driving experience with at least two years of mountain driving experience (depending on Distribution Center location) and at least 2 years of city driving experience.
- Manual dexterity, overall coordination and good balance are required. Ability to stand, walk and move on concrete floors while unloading products at each stop. Ability to sit for the maximum amount during long distance routes (up to 10 hours). Ability to lift a minimum amount of 10 pounds up to the maximum of 100 pounds for reloading pallets, connecting the dock plate, removing empty pallets and pushing pallets with a manual jack using proper body mechanics. Ability to push and pull a full pallet up to 500 pounds up to 150-200 feet. Ability to pull tractor hoods open to check engine. Ability to climb into the tractor with the aid of steps at heights of 21, 39 and 55 inches using 3-points of contact.
- Ability to endure such physical demands as walking across sloped surfaces, neck flexion/extension, cervical rotation, driving a vehicle, wrist rotation and removing pallets from the trailer.
- Ability to use such equipment as a hand operated and electric pallet jack.
- Ability to withstand sudden temperature changes, fumes, cramped quarters, and vibration.
- Ability to be inside the facility or tractor 90% of the shift and outside 10% of the shift.
- May have multiple stops for a long haul. Work schedule would be no more than 60 hours with a consecutive 7 day period or 70 hours within a consecutive 8 day period, whichever may apply (as per DOT regulations).
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this classification; they are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of a personnel so classified.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $64,231.00 - $68,948.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Home daily
- Commercial Driving: 2 years (Required)