Full Job Description
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
About the Unit
We are aiming to recruit a skilled and enthusiastic Research Professional scientist in the Molecular Genetics group of Drs. Evgeny Izumchenko and Nishant Agrawal, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago. Our focus is on understanding the complex interplay between the genetic and epigenetic alterations in carcinogenesis and disease progression, and on exploiting this understanding for developing novel biomarkers for diagnosis and risk stratification as well as in identifying targets for therapeutic intervention. Drs. Izumchenko and Agrawal lab is an integral component of the translational cancer research program at the University of Chicago, working collaboratively with the team of investigators with complementary and integrated expertise including surgeons, clinical oncologists, pathologists and computational biologists. The successful applicant will be responsible for initiating and carrying out translational medicine research projects using patients’ cancer samples, patient-derived xenografts (PDX) and organoid models, deep sequencing, and cutting age molecular approaches. He/she will enter an outstanding research environment and will work with a group of scientists and clinicians focusing on early head and neck cancer diagnostics and targeted therapeutics.
Responsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.
Career Track and Job Level
Facilitates and promotes a research project or contributes to the scientific direction of a research resource.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job facilitates and promotes a research project or contributes to the scientific direction of a research resource. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
1) Serves as a resource for collecting data and performing analysis. Contributes to facilitating and promoting a research project by providing scientific or intellectual information., 2) Reviews laboratory protocols and training on new techniques. Manage complex data sets for research., 3) Leads the contributions to scientific writing and publications, including protocols and grants., 4) Trains new laboratory personnel., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Design, develop, execute, and implement scientific experiments to identify and characterize molecular alterations associated disease progression and therapeutic response to novel anti-cancer drugs.
2) Keep detailed records of experiments. Interpret the data. Prepare data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
3) Write manuscripts, contribute to preparation and writing of grants and progress reports.
4) Assist with training laboratory staff as needed.
5) Perform other duties as assigned.
6) Handle multiple projects on a tight schedule and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative research group.
1) Strong wet-lab experience and technical skills.
2) Excellent English oral and written communications skills.
3) Preference will be given to applicants with background in genetic techniques and NGS libraries preparation.
4) Must be able to handle multiple projects on a tight schedule.
5) Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative research group.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a PhD in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) S trong background in molecular biology and demonstrated scientific achievements.
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the R esume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity /Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form .
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.