Learning Support Teacher, Preschool - 5th Grade (Emphasis on 1st and 2nd Grade)
Beginning the Academic Year 2023-2024 - Full Time/In Person - 1.0 FTE This position is during the academic year along with five weeks of The Summer Learning Support Services Program.
How to Apply (Please read all information below before applying)
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and a detailed cover letter addressing the following three questions to [email protected]:
- What interests you about working at UCDS?
- How do your experiences and qualifications directly relate to being a teacher at UCDS?
- Describe your skills and approach to address the individual needs of students.
University Child Development School (UCDS) located in Seattle, Washington is an independent school serving 350+ students from Early Elementary (Preschool, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten) and Elementary (1st through 5th grade) students.
UCDS encourages students to stretch, reflect, collaborate, and think expansively—enriching their educational growth and ensuring they thrive in school and beyond. UCDS sets individualized curriculum goals, as well as high expectations for every student, and inspires them to go beyond self-imposed limits.
We cultivate reflective, collaborative, skillful thinkers who ignite positive change in their communities. From our youngest to our oldest students, we strive to help everyone develop a worldview that identifies, understands, and values diversityin race, culture, gender, religion, ability, and more. Teachers make a thousand choices a day—both big and small, explicit and implicit—and with each of these, our goal is to expand and deepen students' understanding of self and others. We strive to engage our students in authentic and meaningful conversations, experiences, and learning that help them to recognize that while there is so much work left to do, they have the tools, strategies, and resources to make a difference.
UCDS seeks to add a member to its Learning Support Team. Although this teacher may work with any student ranging from preschool to 5th Grade, they will focus their support on 1st- and 2nd-grade students. UCDS is comprised of highly collaborative teachers who are a part of teaching teams that design innovative educational programs that activate personal learning styles and set students up for the rewards of life-long learning. A Learning Support Teacher will be an active member of these faculty teams.
This applicant should have experience building generative and collaborative curricula. Applicants must also be willing to support the mission of UCDS, engage in mentorship models, and demonstrate flexibility. Each teacher at UCDS works as a member of a team to design curriculum, instruct students, individualize learning, and support school-wide events and programs. In the spirit of innovation, faculty share teaching methods, materials, and assessment techniques within and beyond our school community. The process of building, implementing, evaluating, and revising programs is at the core of UCDS and is required of every faculty member.
We strongly encourage members of marginalized communities, including Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, as well as members of other underrepresented groups, to apply and become a part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive educational environment.
Learning Support Teachers enhance the individualized learning of UCDS students. They are collaborative members of the faculty, working in tandem with classroom teachers to support student success. Learning Support Teachers report directly to the UCDS Director of Learning Support, providing a wide range of services under their guidance. They may support student growth indirectly by providing additional strategies to classroom teachers, or they may work directly with students to help them accomplish classroom tasks and/or practice academic skills. Learning Support Teachers are consistently looking for new tools and strategies, and share these resources with their colleagues in planning and staffing meetings. They work closely with classroom teachers to maintain systems for assessing and documenting student growth, and are active participants in determining the best steps to promote that growth. Learning Support Teachers support communication between the school and families by participating in parent/guardian conferences. They also contribute their efforts to yearly school endeavors, such as standardized testing, the Summer Learning Support Program, and the Admission process. Learning Support Teachers provide support services to students during the academic year along with five weeks of Summer Learning Support Services for the Summer Support Program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support individualized student goals: Indirectly by supporting teachers and curriculum and directly by working with students
- Design individualized student support and adapt strategies as student needs change
- Be a collaborative member of each teaching team
- Actively participate in planning meetings
- Participate in parent/guardian conferences, as needed
- Conduct internal assessments/screenings
- Maintain systems to document student progress over time
- Share professional development resources with the UCDS teaching community
- Assist with internal workshops and in-services
- Plan and implement before- and after-school learning clubs
- Maintain casenotes on student support sessions
- Plan and implement sessions for the summer support program
- Plan and implement small group instruction integrated within the curriculum (e.g,. Language Groups, Math Skills groups, etc.)
- Participate in classroom instruction as needed
- Commitment to equity and inclusion practices
- An interest and willingness to closely collaborate with classroom teachers and other members of the Learning Support Team
- Knowledge of different learning profiles
- Knowledge of administering and interpreting school-based assessments
- A comprehensive understanding of differentiated instructional strategies across the curriculum
- An ability to provide expertise and perspective on student progress and development
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, resourceful, and efficient
- Tactful and discreet
- Technologically savvy
- High-energy and enthusiastic about working in an educational setting with young children
- An ability to participate in student field trips during the school day, or elementary overnight trips
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Special Education, or a related field; graduate degree preferred
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Experience with Wired for Reading or other multi-sensory teaching strategies is a plus
- Meet the school’s standards when completing all background screenings.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary Range: $60,883 – $118,000 depending on degree/experience
The school offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package to benefits-eligible employees subject to the discretion of the Head of School, which includes:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Savings Account with employer contribution
- Flexible Spending Account
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with available employer matching
- Paid sick leave
- Employer-paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employer-paid Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program for employees and their dependents
- Wellness benefit is to be used on items or services that promote wellness
- Professional Development opportunities
- Free parking
University Child Development School is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and to seeking a diverse and broad spectrum of qualified candidates. The School does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,883.00 - $118,000.00 per year
Work Location: In person