The Independence Center (The IC) is a local nonprofit organization that provides traditional and self-directed home health care, independent living, and advocacy services for people with disabilities. These services range from providing peer support, skills classes, and employment assistance to individual and systems advocacy. In addition, The IC runs a Certified Nurse Aide training program to equip the area with qualified CNAs. The IC’s mission is to work with people with disabilities, their families, and the community to create independence so all may thrive.
The Independence Center is simply a wonderful place to work! We provide a great work environment, competitive and fantastic benefits. Our benefits package includes:
- MEDICAL INSURANCE
- BASIC TERM LIFE AND SUPPLEMENTAL LIFE INSURANCE
- DENTAL INSURANCE
- VISION INSURANCE
- 403(b) RETIREMENT PLAN
- DISABILITY INSURANCE
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP)
- PAID VACATION TIME
- PAID SICK TIME
- TUITION REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
- YMCA CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP
Visit www.theindependencecenter.org for more information about our fantastic benefits.
Provides administrative support for The IC’s Human Resources programs and administration, working primarily with Human Resources Manager and Human Resources Generalist. Maintains sensitive and confidential agency information with responsibility for maintaining highly confidential employment files.
- High school diploma
- Two or more years of experience working in an office environment
- One or more years of experience in Human Resources.
- One or more years of customer service experience preferred.
- Experience working with people with disabilities desirable.
- Intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office suite of applications; Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of basic Human Resources principles and procedures
- Demonstrates THE IC’s core values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person First, Accountability and Integrity, and essential team virtues of Humble, Hungry, and Smart.
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
Recruitment and Staffing:
- Assist the HR Manager with recruiting actions as needed.
Onboarding and Orientation:
- Assist in the onboarding of new employees to include: Preparation for New Hire Orientation, maintenance of new hire packets, maintenance of the HR User Box, preparation of new hire files with the requisite documentation, education records and certificates.
- Construction of new hire files with the requisite documentation.
- Maintain current employee files; updates and maintains documentation in files.
- Process (deconstruct) employee termination files.
- Maintain Human Resource Archive Room to include moving older files to storage.
- Perform employment file audits per specified guidelines.
- Perform monthly OIG, quarterly SOR checks, and annual DORA checks with follow up as needed.
- Assist with the implementation of an electronic personnel filing system.
- Assist HR Manager with benefits administration.
- Assist with Annual Benefits Open Enrollment logistics.
- Assist HR Manager with on-going communication with employees on leave to include Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and leave protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Assist the HR Manager with the administrative support of ICU (The Independence Center University) to include enrollment, and feedback tracking.
- Perform HR-related communications, mailings, and distributions.
- Respond to verifications of employment as requested.
- Filing, photocopying, faxing, e-mailing, and general administration functions.
- Back up to HR Generalist.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive employee-centric attitude while working with frequent interruptions.
- Work effectively with co-workers, customers, and others by sharing ideas and information constructively and positively. Work as a team player.
- Listen to and objectively consider ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables, and issues.
- Address problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to analyze data and provide recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and provide a positive agency image to the public.
- Sensitivity to staff and consumers with disabilities.
- Organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to follow-through with a variety of duties.
- Understanding of payroll/HR systems, to include reports and analytics.
- Office environment requiring ongoing computer use and an extended amount of time sitting, standing, or walking.
- Ability to transport 10 lbs. files and boxes to and from the Archive Room required; 25 lbs. lifting on occasion.
- To drive any vehicle in the course and scope of employment, an employee must maintain an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) as determined by The IC’s liability insurance carrier. IC employees will be subject to reasonable suspicion, post-incident, and bi-annual random MVR checks to determine driving acceptability.
- The noise level of the office working environment is low to moderate. Work is performed with frequent interruptions.
This position may also require the performance of other duties as assigned.
If you are qualified and wish to apply, please route your resume and salary expectations along with a cover letter addressing your alignment with the minimum qualifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
- working in an office environment: 2 years (Required)
- human resources: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative