This positions primary responsibility is ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounting information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and the firm’s accounting policies and procedures. Additional responsibilities include regulatory reporting, tax schedules and Partner payment schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and/or reviews simple to more complex schedules, accurately and timely, for federal, state and foreign tax compliance requirements
- Prepares and/or reviews state and local sales & use tax and property tax for applicable jurisdictions
- Prepares and/or reviews VAT and EC Sales tax returns for applicable jurisdictions
- Prepares and/or reviews federal, state, and foreign tax extensions and quarterly payments
- Utilizes tax research tools to determine the proper tax treatment of a variety of transactions
- Creates and maintains domestic/international tax policies and procedures
- Reconcile related G/L tax accounts and review and process Partner tax withholdings and credits
- Oversight of Tax Task list to ensure filing deadlines are met
- Ability to maintain confidentiality surrounding Partner and firm information
Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations and remains current with applicable tax codes
Revises procedures by developing and streamlining documentation and related worksheets
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
Prepares and posts all journal entries to the firm’s integrated financial system.
Prepares complicated monthly account reconciliations for firm accounts, including multi-currency reconciliations on cash and accrual basis of accounting.
Prepares and maintains fixed asset and depreciation schedules on a monthly basis, adjusting for new capital expenditures and/or retired assets. Understands, researches and recommends changes to depreciation lives and methods based on evolving tax regulations.
Perform the month-end and year-end financial system closing processes.
Assists in the preparation of monthly financial statements and management reports.
Assists in the preparation of schedules for all firm audits (US, UK, Germany and HK), including financial and client accounts and the preparation of the audited full disclosure financial statements.
Assists in the preparation and filing of several tax schedules, including the maintenance of state or country specific fixed asset schedules, allocation models and revenue recognition for market based tax reporting.
Creates and maintains financial statement formats stored in the firm’s financial system.
Prepares and maintains various partnership accounting schedules on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Maintain Partner draw and distribution schedules monthly and support the annual allocation process.
Act as a mentor to other accountants to facilitate the recording of new and complicated accounting and tax transactions.
Proactively recommend operational improvements to address emerging regulations globally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES :
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent computer skills, proficiency in spreadsheet software applications, and ability to train others in their use.
- Experience with International operations; including working within multiple book types and multiple currencies.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Taxes or equivalent. Master’s degree in Accounting or Taxation and/or CPA preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in a Tax Department with exposure to Partnership Tax within a US multinational company tax department or with a public accounting firm
- Prior tax accounting experience in a mid-sized to large professional services firm is preferred
- Excellent project management, analytical, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrates professionalism, dependability, integrity and trustworthiness combined with a collaborative attitude
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to multitask and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines
- Adaptable to last minute changes and disruptions, and able to accommodate long hours
- Schedule: Standard office hours, evening/weekend work as needed
- Physical requirements: Ability to sit for long periods of time and ability to use computer and general office equipment
- Travel: Minimal
- Environment: Indoor office environment
Goodwin Procter LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Goodwin Procter LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful regard to sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, marital or domestic partner/civil union status, military service, or veteran status, physical and mental disability, and any other characteristic covered by applicable federal, state or local nondiscrimination laws.
Please note: Various agencies of the United States government require employers to collect information on applicants and employees. The National Association of Law Placement (NALP) and certain clients request us to keep track of certain aggregate information regarding lawyers. EEO information requested on this application is for purposes of compliance with these recordkeeping and reporting requirements and to determine recruiting and employment patterns. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment.