Square One is a private nonprofit organization that receives funding from public agencies and donations from generous private sector businesses and individuals. Square One is fully licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Square One’s programs include early education and care at centers in Springfield and Holyoke, home-based care settings located throughout greater Springfield and out of school time care for elementary school age children. Our parent education, support and training programs are offered through groups, home visitation and personalized case management to help parents access whatever services are needed to be successful in their role as their child’s first teacher.
We are currently looking for van drivers interested in joining our hardworking team.
This position is a bargaining unit position. We offer full benefits such as, Health, Dental & Time off, and a flexible working environment.
SQUARE ONE- VAN DRIVERS (FULL & PART TIME POSITIONS AVAILABLE)
1. Be at least 21 Years of age.
2. Possess high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Possess valid Massachusetts Class III driver license for at least three (3) years. Possess valid Massachusetts 7D driver license or have the ability to obtain such a license.
4. Possess valid First Aid & CPR Training Certificate.
5. Defensive driving skills.
6. Ability to produce successfully completed CORI check and driving record check through the Department of Motor Vehicles.
7. Ability to read and understand local street maps. Knowledge of Springfield and surrounding communities’ streets.
8. Have the personal qualities to interact appropriately with parents and children; have the ability to maintain order during the routes.
9. Have the physical capabilities to bend, lift and secure children requiring such assistance.
10. Punctual, dependable and ability to work split shifts.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Performs daily safety check of vehicle and equipment, reporting any problems to Transportation Supervisor or van driver in charge immediately.
2. Ensures that vehicle has adequate gasoline prior to beginning route.
3. Reports any mechanical failures, repair or maintenance needs, or supply replacement immediately to Transportation Supervisor or van driver in charge.
4. Completes daily mileage log and daily route report.
5. Reports any problems or concerns immediately to Transportation Supervisor or van driver in charge.
6. Assists in seating and belting children upon entry to vehicle as specified in Department of Motor Vehicle booklet for 7D drivers.
7. Assists in unbelting and exiting the vehicle as needed and as specified in Department of Motor Vehicle booklet for 7D drivers
8. Implements agency transportation policies and procedures as set-out in the transportation contract established by Springfield Day Nursery.
9. Releases children only to individuals identified as approved for release; contact the office when in question.
10. Returns child to site of placement when no approved release person is available to take child in afternoon.
11. Contacts Corporate Office immediately when an emergency situation arises.
12. Deals effectively with behavior problems during the route.
13. Additional duties as assigned by Transportation Supervisor.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $14.40 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Work Location: One location