Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy
This is a "Project" position designed to support project work for a limited duration. While the exact duration of the project is yet to be determined, we currently anticipate a period of 3-5 years based on business needs at the present time following which you will separate from the Company. It is important for you to understand that this period may be shortened based on business needs in the future at which point you will separate from the Company. It is also important for you to understand that this employment is of a limited duration and that you will not be entitled to separation benefits under any PSEG plan at the time you separate from the Company. Director Level approval and waiver will be required for you to bid on other PSEG opportunities within the first 3 years of assignment. From year 4 through the end of your assignment, Director level approval and waiver will not be required. If your assignment ends prior to the anticipated timeframe based on business needs, you will be allowed to bid on other PSEG opportunities without Director level approval from the time you are notified your assignment will be ending through the end date of the assignment.
- Able to provide P&C design for electrical utility projects for distribution and transmission voltages of PSE&G Switching stations and Substations from 4kV up to and including 500kV.
- Proficient in working independently on the following P&C drawings: one line control diagrams, tripping tables, other one line diagrams, relay protection and control schematics, instrumentation and alarm schematics, SCADA controls, racks and panels views, wiring diagrams, control house layouts, cable schedules and bill of materials.
- Coordinate design with electrical layout designers and engineers, system protection, construction supervisors, commissioning engineers, and field personnel.
- Provide guidance and reviews of P&C design done by other A&E’s or other junior designers or contractors.
- Provide technical expertise to the Divisions and construction personnel.
- Coordinate with vendors and manufacturers and review technical documentation related to P&C design.
- Lead, supervise, and mentor a team of designers and actively participate in technical discussions as needed by the projects.
- Able to organize design assignments and be the leader overseeing and checking the work of the designers and contractors.
- Proved working experience with engineering and design of microprocessor relays for transmission and distribution lines, busses, transformers, PARs, reactors, capacitors for switching stations and substations 4kV-500kV. Deep knowledge in controls of high voltage breakers, GIS, high voltage equipment monitoring and SCADA.
- Be an active participant and contributor to improvements in standards and design processes.
- Must be able to provide support during system emergencies or equipment failures.
- Ability to work extra hours on weekdays and weekends as might be needed to meet project schedules.
- Interface with other technical and project disciplines to support project schedules and milestones.
- Coordinate as required with system planners, designers, asset experts, project managers, vendors, and construction and operation personnel.
- Provide technical support during electrical construction and commissioning phases of projects.
- B.S in Electrical Engineering or higher degree plus extensive technical experience.
- At least 8 years of electrical utility switching stations/substations experience and knowledge of electrical stations equipment, e.g., transformers, circuit breakers, medium voltage switchgear, gas insulated stations (GIS), regulators, capacitor banks, fiber optic communication, oil pumping plants, and their protection & controls.
- Candidate must possess a proficient knowledge and experience with protective relay schemes and applications, SCADA, metering, A.C & D.C power distribution and controls, alarms, fiber optic communication and equipment monitoring systems.
- Proficient in working on complex one line controls, schematics for protective relays including microprocessor relays, control schematics, alarms, auxiliary power, SCADA and metering circuits, etc. and understanding of electrical layout drawings in order to effectively support projects.
- Clear and concise writing and excellent verbal communications skills.
- Extensive experience in leading design teams in large complex P&C design projects including GIS projects.
- Experience in reviewing design work from other designers and engineering firms.
- Shall work with minimum supervision and be a good team leader and team player.
- Computer skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.), Microstation XM/V8i/Bentley Connect and/or AutoCAD; Acrobat, etc.
- Because the job requires driving to company locations and off-site assignments and events, must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history.
Advanced degree - MSEE or PhD, PE, PMP. Experience in the utility or in A&E working for utility.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved hiring decision