WE NEED A CONTROLLER! Our Controller is retiring, but we can't let them leave until we find a replacement!
This position is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of all financial data and for providing financial reports required by Company management, regulatory and rating agencies. Directs the cost accounting, and general accounting functions. Responsible for the development, analysis and interpretation of statistical and accounting information to appraise profitability, capital expenditures and performance against budget. This employee exercises discretion and independent judgment in the performance of office or non-manual work directly related to management policies or to the general business operations of the Company or customers. In addition, this position is also defined as a key officer of the company and a member of the Executive Committee. This position spends more than 50% of work time performing administrative duties.
Key Actions and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works effectively with company personnel, customers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Responsible for financial reporting - internally as well as to other Company locations. This includes internal and Swiss (month, quarter, annual) and closings.
- Responsible for the shared accounts payable service for 3 US entities.
- Excellent understanding of business processes in SAP system
- Advises improvements on finance issues
- Pro-active analysis of cost and expenses, overhead (operational and product), indirectly product costs, order costs and product family cost
- Oversees the following: a. Production cost and production variance analysis, b. reporting framework relationships to General Ledger, c. association booking report, d. cost center monthly statements and corrections, e. asset records, disposal, additions, depreciation, and tracking.
- Performs or oversees netting procedures
- Prepares or oversees preparation of Sales & Use tax returns, property tax returns, and prepares income tax provisions.
- General Ledger Account reconciliations.
- Banking transactions (Banking Software, Positive Pay, Credit card, Foreign Currency Payments and Exchange rates)
- Manages/coordinates various types of audits (Financial, Sales Tax, Property Tax Internal)
- Budgeting and mid-term plan details using COGNOS and TM1software
- Coordinates and administers an adequate plan for the control of operations. Such a plan provides profit planning, sales forecasts, expense budgets, accounts receivable, cost standards and saving opportunities, and capital investing, together with the necessary controls and procedures to effectuate the plan. Supports all levels of management.
- Recommends and initiates special projects and goals, analyzes company growth and provides accurate, complete, and timely submission of required progress reports, forecasts, quotations, budgets, and rates.
- Oversees the management and direction of the performance, recruitment, retention, and development of the finance staff and confers with direct reports to establish responsibilities and procedures for attaining objectives which contribute to improved cost, quality, productivity, and/or competitive position in the market place.
- Keeps the Chief Financial Officer informed of the status of the subsidiary within the business unit.
- Performs standard cost roll-ups in SAP.
- Files appropriate government reports.
- Reviews contracts for risk and financial viability.
- Reviews development product projects, product upgrade projects, and capital requests for return on investment and shall advise applicants in filing process and informational requirements.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on inventory control and slow move inventory.
- May perform currency exchange risk analysis and evaluations.
- Shall keep accurate procedures for all work performed with department.
- Maintains proper company internal controls and safeguarding of assets.
- performs other duties as requested or directed.
Manages up to three subordinates in the Accounting Department and up to three shared resources. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Key Performance Indicators
Core performance indicators include, but are not limited to, the following:
- EBIT forecasting accuracy
- Internal & External Audit results
- Continuous Improvement activities (Kaizen)
- Financial analysis/support
- Contingency planning effectiveness
- Project costing accuracy & tracking
- CAPEX tracking, effectiveness and reporting
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Business Acumen - Understands needs of the business and can translate these needs into organizational action. Collaborates with stakeholders to maximize attainment of company goals. Displays critical thinking to adequately manage risks and resources. Builds sound judgement in others.
Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self & others. Links mission, values, goals & strategy to everyday work. Inspires and motivates others to perform well by leading by example. Effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others to improve effectiveness. Gives appropriate recognition of others
Strategy Development & Execution – Anticipates the future needs of the business and builds the organizational capabilities to create competitive advantage. Develops goals, priorities and metrics to drive action. Adapts to changing conditions and implements necessary countermeasures to deliver results.
Organizational Values - Advocates & promotes corporate values. Encourages positive habits, behaviors and builds organizational trust. Supports continuous improvement and commitment to (lean) excellence. Advocates diversity, health, safety & compliance to policies.
Innovation: Drives and inspires the organization to develop thinking and methodologies that engage, develop and collaborate to new solutions to market which have higher value for the company or its customers in time, money or quality. These ideas can affect product, processes services or resources and should be communicated in a manner that motivates and captures the attention of others.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree in an Accounting, Finance or related field,
- Ten years of progressive accounting experience and three or more years at a management level, a plus
- Master's degree, CPA, CMA and/or other certifications, a plus
- SAP experience, a plus
- Proficient personal computer skills, familiar with Microsoft Office, a plus.
- Passing a company post-employment physical as well as controlled substance testing and background and security checks, as required.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers or executives.
Knowledge, Skills, Training & Abilities:
- Performs all operations according to prescribed safety principles.
- Ability to work with and preserve confidential information.
- Acts as Company representative at other company locations, or at other companies.
- Follows the procedures as presented in the Employee Handbook, Etiquette Brochure, department procedures, captures contact information, and follows verbal, written or diagram instructions as provided by supervisors and managers.
- Presents a professional appearance as well as presents a professional attitude with customers, distributors, vendors and other company personnel.
- Ability to drive with valid driver’s license for valid Company reasons.
- Presents professional communication skills -verbal, written, e-mails.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 10 years (Required)
- Controller: 3 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts