Position Available: Manager, Civic Engagement Department | Department: Civic Engagement Department | Location: Cleveland/Akron, OH | Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours, Exempt | Travel: Travel in-state and out of state may be required.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department. The person will be responsible for the management, coordination, and execution of the day-to-day civic engagement programming including but not limited to voter outreach and education, policy-advocacy activities, and policy research as well as for the internal growth of the department. This person will supervise program staff and work closely with partners at the local, state, and national levels to advance the policy agenda of the AAPI community. The Manager of Civic Engagement will report to the CEO to aide in the development of the organization that supports the mission and vision. The position requires dedication to work with communities that are mostly limited English proficient. The work schedule includes evening and weekend events, as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directly oversees Civic Engagement program staff members;
- Manage and support the professional growth of Civic Engagement program staff members through strategy setting, workplan development, and ongoing progress assessments to lead the team to higher performance;
- Manage strategy and planning for all community engagement efforts;
- Support fundraising to ensure the growth and sustainability of campaign work, including developing proposals, and reports, prospecting, and participating in relevant funder meetings with the support of the organization’s Grant Manager;
- Develop and monitor program budgets, making needed adjustments based on funding availability and keeping operations within budget;
- Develop effective state tracking and reporting mechanisms to measure progress and document outcomes to be communicated to senior leadership, funders, and other stakeholders and submit all required grant reporting in a timely manner;
- Ensure department staff maintain and update the voter database and all reporting on a monthly basis;
- Advance ASIA’s efforts around civic organizing goals to reach voter parity;
- Work with department staff to develop, implement and evaluate advocacy, coalition- building and organizing campaigns that advance voting rights and protect against voter suppression;
- Develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools;
- Work with the internal communications team to develop online campaigns related to programming and aide in overall community participation and support the development of canvassing volunteers;
- Serve as a policy expert for organizations, campaigns, and media interested in immigration issues at the local and state levels;
- Act as the public face of ASIA’s civic engagement activities including programs focused on immigrant rights, voter participation, and Census;
- With department staff, attend coalition meetings across Ohio and out of state to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement, and advance the goals of the department;
- Develop legislative strategy and work with department staff to carry out activities and tactics to advance legislation or proposals at the local, state, and federal level;
- Conduct and publish independent policy analysis, as well as policy development, on timely and relevant issues for the AAPI community that are not covered by specific policy projects or existing staff through the support of the Policy-Advocacy team;
- Set legislative priorities, in consultation with leadership;
- Lead the co-convener group, AAPI Civic Engagement Network of Ohio managing grant expenses and reporting;
- Oversee the technical assistance program for ACE Network that builds the capacity of partner organizations in areas including program building, fund development, voter outreach, policy-advocacy, and more;
- Work on other assigned tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in political science, international relations, communications, nonprofit management, or a related field;
- Proven management experience and overseeing a staff of 3 or more;
- Proven experience in electoral campaigns, legislative outreach, and/or policy analysis;
- Experience leading successful organizing campaigns;
- Ability to lift 30 lbs or more;
- Requires work on evenings and weekends, as necessary;
- Ability to commute throughout Ohio with a current license, insurance, and a car;
- Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice;
- Highly organized and acute attention to detail, flexible, and self-motivated/self-starter;
- Personal qualities include energy, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, a positive attitude, and ability to motivate and listen to others;
- Must be adept in working with diverse staff who are multicultural and multilingual;
- Knowledge of AAPI cultures (their issues and needs, particular barriers and strategies to address those barriers), respect for all cultures, and the ability to interact with diverse groups preferred;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office and OS applications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in-person and by phone, with high professionalism;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain the quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines;
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting is a plus;
- Must pass a criminal background check and have a valid Ohio State driver’s license;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes: personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for a pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR Manager (HRManager (at) asiaohio.org). Visit www.asiaohio.org. No phone calls, please.
Job Type: Full-time
- management: 1 year (Preferred)