This position is located in the Knowledge & Learning Unit (KLU), Office of Staff Learning and Development (OSLD,) Division, Office of Management, U.S. Peace Corps.
The Knowledge & Learning Unit is responsible for developing E-learning and managing collection, exchange and distribution of knowledge resources to support Staff and Volunteers in their efforts to achieve Peace Corps goals. The KLU provides Peace Corps Staff and Volunteers with 24/7 access to Peace Corps training, resources, and communities of practice to support the Peace Corps Mission.
The Senior E-Learning Specialist reports to the Chief of Knowledge & Learning. In this role, the incumbent identifies improvements for Peace Corps e-learning content, processes and procedures, and accelerates the adaptation and dissemination of standardized practices. The incumbent works in close coordination with technical subject matter experts, as well as staff supporting the agency’s various digital tools and platforms. The incumbent serves as a leader within OSLD championing an environment of continuous learning across the Peace Corps with primary focus on development, delivery and tracking of e-learning products and training for Peace Corps staff agency-wide. In collaboration with key stakeholders, supports integration of digital learning with in-person methods, and emphasis on designing effective, and learner-centered content. The incumbent promotes knowledge sharing and professional development among e-learning specialists, and improves cross-agency e-learning governance and curriculum development processes.
The Senior E-Learning Specialist performs the following major duties:
- Serves as senior agency expert in the development of e-learning products and processes.
- Utilizing project management skills, plan and manage e-learning course development projects end-to-end, ensuring participation of all relevant stakeholders in the determination and organization of content, and ensuring a consistent process of review and testing of all new e-learning courses prior to launch.
- Plans, organizes, supports/directs, and coordinates Agency’s e-learning programs. Assists the Chief of KLU in developing, integrating, planning and synchronizing e-learning projects with Agency’s training needs and requirements.
- In consultation with Chief KLU, researches, develops and prepares e-learning projects and activities requiring concurrence/approval from Agency leadership.
- Serves as lead E-learning business analyst engaging Peace Corps offices and posts to determine their training requirements and e-learning solutions.
- Establish policies and processes to support the appropriate use of educational technology integration into curriculum and take a leadership role in the implementation of new policies and processes associated with the acquisition, integration, and support of educational technology.
- Oversee development of distance learning Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and associated change management initiatives.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- United States Citizens
- Current or former Federal employees.
- Internal agency employees; including agency temporary employees, eligible agency Experts, and eligible agency personal services contactors
- Job family (Series)
1701 General Education And Training
Conditions of Employment
Intelligence Background Information
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment"
Peace Corps Manual Section 611 is applicable to this position. This section prohibits the employment of certain persons previously engaged in intelligence activities or connected with intelligence agencies within the past 10 years. If you have ever worked for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), you are not eligible for employment at the Peace Corps in any capacity, and you should not apply for employment.
PC-1336 Form: Applicants who are found to be otherwise qualified will be required to submit upon request in the future a completed PC-1336 form , or narrative signed statement , indicating whether the applicant has been involved in or has had any connection with intelligence activities or related work and, if so, the nature and dates of his or her involvement. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the applicant being rated ineligible for further consideration. If you have any other type of possible intelligence connection, your application will not be further considered until you submit this form. Except when the CIA or the National Security Agency (NSA) is involved (see below) , if your connection with an Intelligence Agency involves an immediate family member who works or has worked in intelligence, the immediate family member should complete the form, not the applicant. Usually relying on memory is sufficient to answer most if not all of the questions. If you have an immediate family member who works or has worked for the CIA, you should not give them this form to complete. Please contact your relative in person —not by phone, email, social networking, or any other means that is not in person— and ask him or her to contact the Office of General Counsel at the CIA.
If your intelligence connection involves the NSA , you (or, if the connection is with a family member, that person) must contact NSA’s Office of the General Counsel at 410-854-3910 before submitting this form to Peace Corps.
You must meet the specialized experience at the grade level(s) in which you choose to be considered by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date of the announcement. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To ensure full credit for your experience, please indicate dates of employment by month, day, and year and the number of hours worked per week in your resume.
This vacancy is being announced at one (1) grade level:
Qualifying experience for the FP-2 level includes one year of specialized experience at least equivalent to the FP-3 or GS-13 level which is in or directly related to the line of work of the position to be filled and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience includes : Experience with instructional design and training development to develop e-learning products, guidelines and procedures for an organization; applies problem solving, program management, collaboration, accountability and communications skills; interprets and develops guidelines and regulations that are questioned, challenged, or require negotiating to secure acceptance; develops, designs and evaluates training and development programs, courses, materials, aids, etc. for adults, and employ state-of-the-art training delivery systems; and applies analytical skills to translate higher level program and mission objectives into e-learning goals and projects which can be implemented within the policy framework of Federal laws, regulations, and procedures.
Additional information on qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on the OPM web site at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/ .
- Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
- Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in 1 above.
Peace Corps Information
Conditions of Employment
- This is a Federal civilian job in the Excepted Service. PC employees are paid on the Foreign Service scale and employment is limited NTE 5 years.
- Qualified internal applicants will be given first consideration.
- Additional hiring needs may be filled through this vacancy.
- National Service (e.g., volunteer) refers to paid & unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, community, student).
- Peace Corps is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
- Peace Corps is a drug free workplace and promotes a drug free environment.
- Peace Corps is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. Our goal is to attract and develop the best and brightest from all lifestyles and backgrounds. Peace Corps strives to create a culture of inclusion where individuals feel respected and are treated fairly in all aspects of differences. Our commitment is to make a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Peace Corps provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the hiring process, please notify the Office of Human Resources by calling 202-692-1200 or the Office of Civil Rights and Diversity on 202-692-2139. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact email@example.com . In the subject line, include the vacancy #, position title and closing date.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- You must successfully complete a background security investigation with favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet this requirement will be grounds for employment termination.
- All male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, you must sign a statement certifying your registration, or you must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
- Prior Intelligence Activity or Related Work: Individuals who have been engaged in certain intelligence activity or related work or who have been employed by or connected with an intelligence agency are ineligible for employment with Peace Corps. Acceptance of employment with Peace Corps precludes employment by certain intelligence organizations for a specific period of time, determined by the employing agency, after Peace Corps employment ceases.
- All Federal employees are required to have federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- A one (1) year trial period is required.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated based on your resume, attached supporting documentation and your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire. Your materials will be evaluated to validate your possession of any required knowledge, skills, abilities (KSA) and/or competencies. The following competencies will be evaluated in the self-assessment questionnaire:
Please note that a complete application is required for consideration; including any documentation that is being used for qualifications. Your resume and supporting documentation will be reviewed by a Human Resources Specialist, which must support the answers you provided. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for disqualification.
- Technical Competence - E-Learning Product Development
- Education and Training
- Project Management
- Applies Technology to Tasks
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
In order to verify the information you submit electronically, a complete application package is required. This includes: a detailed resume, a completed electronic self-assessment questionnaire and the submission of any required documents.
Resume: Include relevant work experience including job title, duties and accomplishments, employer name and address, supervisor name and phone number, start and end dates, hours per week & salary. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade level (e.g. GS-0201-09).
Veterans Documents: If you are claiming veterans’ preference, you must attach all required documentation; including a DD-214 reflecting the type of discharge, the SF-15 and a VA Letter if applicable. For more information regarding veterans’ preference, please review the OPM Vet Guide .
Federal Employees: If you are a current or former Federal employee, please provide a copy of your most recent SF-50.
Qualifications Based on Education or a Combination of Education and Experience: If you are qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience, you must submit a copy of your transcript(s) or an appropriate course listing with a diploma. Education must be accredited by an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be used towards qualifications. Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by recognized institutions. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.