The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the foundation of community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than just a job—you’ll enjoy a career with the chance to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
This is a Full Time, Seasonal position.
Responsible for assisting the Ranch Director with the implementation of the equestrian program with the focus of western style riding and the care and feeding of the horses. Counselors are also responsible for cabin of campers with the assistance of a co-counselor.
- Function as head instructor, manage care for horses
- Responsible for orientation of new staff members to the YMCA ranch environment; area procedures; proper storage of equipment and supplies; riding evaluations for campers
- Develop curriculum for beginner, intermediate, advanced lessons
- Maintain practices that meet licensing/accreditation standards
- Lead trail rides
- Assist in leadership team planning all-camp events and activities
- High school diploma or its equivalency required, some college preferred
- Previous riding instruction and western riding experience required
- CHA certification preferred
- Horse care/ barn management experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit (“YMCA”) is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to be an inclusive and welcoming environment for all. The YMCA does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring or other terms or conditions of employment on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sex, age, religion, national origin, genetic information, ethnicity, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military status or application or any other basis protected by state, federal or other applicable law.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of children in our programs. We hold all staff, regardless of position, to the highest possible standards. We require all staff to be screened regularly and sign a code of conduct. All staff will be monitored when interacting with
program participants. We take any inappropriate interactions between program
participants and with staff very seriously and will fully cooperate with
authorities in any case of abuse.