As a Risk & Control Manager on the Single-Family Business Advisory Services team, you are an advocate and champion of the risk framework and policy - driving awareness, adoption and execution in the assigned business area and across the division. The Risk & Control Manager is a thought leader who develops and implements solutions to ensure material risks are proactively identified, assessed, accurately documented and appropriately responded to. As a subject matter expert in governance and control, you will partner with Company Officers, as well as other senior members of their leadership teams and staff, to drive change to effectively manage risks in an open, collaborative environment. You will routinely facilitate adaptive change to meet the demands of a critical and complex division of the enterprise, while managing multiple initiatives and time sensitive processes simultaneously. The ideal candidate is a highly accomplished and motivated Risk Management professional with excellent organizational, leadership, communication and relationship management skills. This role has a high level of exposure across the division with potential opportunity for significant impact and growth.
• Facilitate and oversee operational risk management of the assigned business areas’ processes, risks and controls through the implementation of and adherence to the enterprise Operational Risk Framework and Standards.
• Apply sound judgment in evaluating risks and controls; Effectively challenge the business on the identification and acceptance of risks and the adequacy of controls.
• Analyze, document and monitor issues, including root cause analysis, control failure identification, level of significant assessment for deficiencies and remediation plans. Ensure timely entry of updates in the system.
• Identify and swiftly communicate significant issues and risks to senior leadership
• Maintain diligent follow up on Issues Management activities with appropriate stakeholders. Ensure robust action plans are developed. Monitor response and resolution to ensure remediation activities are diligently managed and timelines adhered to.
• Partner with the assigned business area process owners to ensure process flows, procedures, and job aids are kept current and comply with documentation requirements.
• Perform quarterly risk assessments to reassess current risks and to identify emerging key risks (operational, compliance, technology, third party, etc.); Identify and assess control effectiveness and/or gaps.
• Drive remediation of issues and operational events
• Provide guidance and support to the business in the development and documentation of risk, issue, and control descriptions and remediation plans. Ensure compliance with risk acceptance requirements.
• Build strong partnerships in the assigned business area and with key stakeholders across the division and enterprise.
• Facilitate and oversee Audits and ERM Risk Reviews for assigned area
• Support of other related activities as warranted.
• 8-10 years of experience in operational risk, compliance and/or audit
• 2+ years of people management experience required
• 3+ years of first line operational risk management experience preferred
• 3+ years of risk advisory experience at a Big 4 firm or the like is preferred
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree preferred
• Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
Preferred Skills & Key to Success in this Role:
• Highly motivated and energetic self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills; Proven experience operating at high standards of quality and accuracy within a fast-paced changing environment, including the ability to effectively and independently manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Execution focused with demonstrated initiative and personal accountability
• Critical thinking skills with a problem-solving mindset; Demonstrated intellectual ability to analyze ambiguous and complex issues to distill critical components
• Proven ability to partner and work collaboratively with all groups and levels including Officers and Directors, cultivating and developing productive and trusted relationships.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills capable of succinctly presenting complex subject matter; Ability to facilitate large group discussions
• Prior experience in the financial services industry and mortgage industry is desirable
Top Personal Competencies to possess:
• Drive for Execution
• Seek & Embrace Change
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.
SF Strategic Delivery
Work Location City
Work Location Zip Code
Work Location State
Full Time/Part Time