Summary of position:
Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, responsible for providing complex Intellectual Property and other legal research for attorneys and clients using online and print resources, analyzing, synthesizing, and presenting information. Observes confidentiality of client and firm matters.
- Provide customized research services in the area of Intellectual Property law practice.
- Provide business and industry background research for attorneys, clients and the firm.
- patent and trademark portfolios
- personnel intel
- competitor intelligence
- Handle investigative research to locate witnesses and expert witnesses and perform skip-tracing searches.
- Provides Document Delivery services including obtaining literature references, book loans, court documents, translations, copies of patents and corporate documentation from government resources.
- Scans environment and selects best IP research tools for library and firm.
- Prepares and maintains library budgets for all M&G libraries.
- Maintains Library intranet pages with links to relevant sources.
- Meets with library resource vendors.
- Trains new users and prepares instructional materials.
- Plans and maintains Minneapolis library space.
- Provides general reference guidance.
- Makes recommendations of computer software applications for library use.
- Provides corporate and industry research in support of Marketing department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- B.A. degree in Informational Management or advanced degree in Library Science desired.
- Five years of research experience and law firm experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of research tools such as Lexis, Lexis Advance, ProQuest, PACER, Accurint, Courtlink, CCH Intelliconnect, Derwent Innovation, TotalPatent, Saegis, and Corsearch.
- Understanding of library policies and procedures in order to maintain on-site operations as well as utilize the resources of local libraries.
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain when answering a high volume of requests for information and performing other essential duties.
- Ability to retrieve and distribute print volumes, including books or packages weighing up to 20 pounds and ability to retrieve and replace objects from shelves of up to 8 feet high.
- Work may occasionally require more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Regular attendance at work.
Job Type: Full-time