WHO WE ARE
We are the Metropolitan Council, the regional government for the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area. We plan 30 years ahead for the future of the metropolitan area and provide regional transportation, wastewater, and housing services. More information about us on our website.
is one of the country's largest transit systems, employs more than 3,000 people, and provides more than 80 million rides a year through an integrated network of buses, light rail and commuter trains, as well as resources for those who carpool, vanpool, walk or bike in the Twin Cities.
How your work would contribute to our organization and the Twin Cities region
The Customer Relations Specialist
serves as the primary contact/liaison for Metro Transit and Metropolitan Council (bus, bus rapid transit, light rail, commuter rail) including regional fixed route transit service providers with regard to all phases of educating, responding and resolving customer inquiries and concerns. Metro Transit & Metropolitan Council receives over 100,000 inquiries annually with that 72% are answered/resolved by staff who are in this position.
This posting will establish a 6 months candidate pool for current and future openings in 2018.
$18.54 per hour
What you would do in this job:
Listen, comprehend, answer, document, investigate, problem solve, verify, educate, resolve and respond to customer calls, emails, letters and in-person inquiries regarding the following:
- Bus service, stops, shelters, signage, fleet, detours and operators (includes regional providers)
- Light Rail service, platforms, facilities, signage, announcements, signals/traffic lights or pedestrian crossings, fleet, bus bridges and operators
- Commuter Rail service, platforms, facilities, signage, announcements, fleet, bus bridges and conductors
- Red Line and A Line services, stations, facilities, signage, fleet and operators
- Future Transit Projects & Improvements i.e. Green & Blue Line Extension, and Bus Rapid Transit (B, C, D, E, and Orange & Gold Lines)
- Fares, Go-To Card and Mobile App (Fixed Route, Light Rail, Commuter Rail, Bus Rapid Transit, Metro Mobility and Transit Link); replacements, deactivations, refunds, adjustments, system issues, registration, ticket vending machines, validators, readers, card vending machines and retail sales outlets, cash, tokens, supersavers, coupons, and special event tickets
- Marketing Promotions
- Website; Web Store purchases/auto refill, credit card declines, password resets, trip planner, NexTrip, and computer navigation.
- Safety, Security, Emergencies, Crimes, Injuries and ADA Compliance
- Lost & Found; Reuniting customers, contacting buses, operators and garages
- Refunds; cash overpayments, cab reimbursement, incorrect purchases and service disruptions
- Identify current patterns & trends
Administer logistics of lost and found items left behind on buses and trains which may include receiving the items, categorizing, logging and returning the inventory following the department guidelines.
Other duties may include: Opening mail, monitoring department supplies, Go-To card reconciliation and reports, filing and mailroom back-up.
What education and experience are required for this job (minimum qualifications)
A High School Diploma/GED with 5 years of recent customer service work experience involving contact with customers, and/or general public. Prefer work experience in explaining services, problem solving, and taking/answering customer feedback via in-person, phone or email. Some of the required 5 years experience must have been obtained in the last 3 years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
What you can expect from us:
- Knowledge of Metro Transit's service, structure, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Regional Route, Transit Link (Dial a Ride) and Metro Mobility (Para Transit) service, structure, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Bus Operator's Rule Book and Guide.
- Geographical knowledge of the Metropolitan area and landmarks
- Knowledge of American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Ability to type a minimum of 30 words per minute.
- Requires the talent to provide exemplary customer service to public and other agencies within the organization. Requires tact, courtesy and cooperation in dealings with others where the primary purpose is the exchange of information. Promotes equitable, positive and respectful work environment that values cultural diversity among all employees and customers.
- Must be able to work independently, make decisions, multi-task, prioritize, problem solve and resolution skills, close attention to detail as well has a high level of accuracy.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with diverse customers (ASL, ESL, Relay and Language Line) and work groups including de-escalation).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products, Customer Relations Application, TX Base, Smartcom Data Portal, Online Schedules, Transit Master, Hastus, Audiolog, ATIS, and Cubic Nextfare, Go-To Multi-Point of Sales device, Metro Transit's retail sales database, Toms mobile app database, and navigating multiple windows, screens and programs.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating instructions, procedure manuals and operator maps.
- We offer the opportunity to make a difference and positively influence the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- We invest in our employees' professional development and provide excellent benefits.
- We are committed to supporting a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
More about why you should join us!
Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU)/Grade 21
What your work environment would be:
Work is performed in highly structured, controlled and standard office setting. Requires availability for assignment on any shift. Work in an environment that has moderate noise level. Ability to work a flexible, rotating schedule. Ability to lift/carry/push/pull lost and found items weighting up to 25 pounds.
What steps the recruitment process involves:
You must qualify at each of the numbered steps below to be considered a final candidate for the job.
We review your minimum qualifications.
Must pass a Work Record Evaluation (for internal ATU employees only)
We rate your education and experience.
We conduct performance exams
We conduct a structured panel interview.
We conduct a selection interview.
Once you have successfully completed the steps above, then:
If you are new to the Metropolitan Council
, you must pass a drug test and a background check, which verifies education and employment, covers driving record (if applicable to the job) and any criminal record. If you have a criminal conviction, you do not automatically fail. The Metropolitan Council considers felony, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions on a case-by-case basis, based on whether they are related to the job and whether the candidate has demonstrated adequate rehabilitation.
If you are already an employee of the Metropolitan Council
, you must pass a criminal background check if the job you're applying for is safety sensitive, is a supervisory or management job, is in the Finance, Information Services or Human Resources departments, or has access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers or transit fare cards.
IMPORTANT: If you make a false statement or withhold information, you may be barred from job consideration.