Fast growing (50% revenue increase in the last four years) non-profit corporation seeks a Controllerto manage the general accounting function, financial analysis and reporting, G/L, taxation, audit liaison, budgeting and forecasting, grant accounting, etc. Prefer familiarity with Lawson software. Prefer CPA with strong GAAP experience. Will consider straight public accounting with exposure to non profit clients, straight non profit industry experience, or a combination of public accounting and industry.Candidates must be U. S. citizens or Permanent Residents based in the L. A. area, with at least two years experience in an accounting management role with a non-profit corporation (or via CPA firm audits of non-profits)
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE: The candidate will be able to lead the accounting staff. This role will include helping the staff achieve their professional goals and work at their optimal capacities. We expects that all Executive Team members set an example for the agency, by leading through our mission of ‘Unconditional Love and Absolute Respect’. This often means interacting with, knowing, leading all levels of staff, and ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to work alongside staff, when necessary and appropriate. It also means a willingness and a passion to get to understand the challenges faced by the people served by the agency. This understanding is critical to help ensure agency goals, policies, and strategies are in alignment with the needs of the people we serve. The candidate will have a fine-tuned understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses, and a history of leading a team with varied leadership skills and styles. The candidate will be self-aware, comfortable with their leadership style and professional in their approach to dealing with differences, conflict and change. Finally, the role requires a high level of personal accountability and the ability to hold others (staff, peers, and the CFO) to a high level of accountability commensurate with their responsibility.
- Supervise and manage the daily accounting functions, the Controller will charged with ensuring that the accounting books and records, processes and controls are maintained in accordance with our policies and standards as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Assist the CFO with managing the annual budget process, detailed monthly analysis of budget to actual performance. Developing metrics and financial tools to assist in understanding CHI operations more deeply.
- Direct the Financial reporting function to meets the needs of CHC and compliance with the various grantors, donors and other regulatory requirements.
- Direct the process of compliance from Grantors, Donors, and various Federal, State, and Local agencies and government entities.
- Periodic review of our internal controls and procedures.
- Serve as interface regarding the various periodic and annual independent audits of the organization’s financial operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent supervisory and managerial skills and the ability to be a successful part of an executive team.
- Have strong leadership skills and the ability to hold one’s self and others accountable for their responsibilities.
- Have experience in working with financial institutions on both securing debt and complying with debt covenants.
- Having a thorough knowledge of accounting, budgeting, finance. Ability to establish and revised both IT and reporting controls.
- Ability to delegate, teach and lead but also a willingness to jump in to meet deadlines.
- Have experience in preparing budgets, and administering the process of analyzing actual results to budget. It is important that the experience include holding line and operational leaders accountable for their budgets. This includes providing a level of communication and leadership so that these operational leaders can own their budgets.
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and, interpersonal, skills.
- Must be able to interact effectively with all levels of management and maintain and confidentiality.
- It is not required but would be helpful to have some knowledge of federal, state and local government grant reporting, financial accounting, internal management control systems, information systems applications, and audit planning and have working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), non-profit accounting, and related FASB/OMB requirements.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or equivalent is required.
- 5 years accounting experience in a managerial role with 2 years minimum experience in a non-profit organization.
- CPA desired but not required.
Please submit your Word resume, minimum and desired salary, reasons for career changes, and extent of non-profit accounting experience, to Steve Brody.
In addition to responding directly with your resume and related data, please also visit our web site, www.erscareers.com, to register with the largest recruiter network in the U. S.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- non profit accounting: 1 year (Preferred)