CAPA The Global Education Network is an established leader in the development and administration of quality international education programs. For over 40 years, we have partnered with universities and colleges across the country and around the world, providing a full range of programs and integrated services designed to support all aspects of international education. Our strong worldwide network, professional expertise, and demonstrated success in the field make us the preferred resource for a growing number of US institutions of higher learning for their study abroad needs. CAPA is headquartered in Boston and operates programs in Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Dublin, Florence, London, Shanghai and Sydney.
CAPA The Global Education Network is committed to academic excellence, integrity and innovation in learning abroad. Our mission is to provide meaningful experiences that challenge and inspire students to analyze and explore complex political, cultural and social landscapes within urban environments. Through our commitment to personalized learning, collaborative learning communities and global connections via technology, we prepare students to live and work in a globally interdependent and diverse world.
CAPA is seeking a highly analytical, motivated and strategic Controller to oversee its corporate accounting, financial reporting, internal controls and financial systems across the globe. Provide day-to-day management of the company’s accounting, reporting, and treasury activities as well as establish a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with accepted accounting principles and international reporting standards to assist in making financial decisions about the company's future. A great opportunity for anyone eager to grow our study-abroad business, and their career, as a true business partner. Based in Boston, this position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the team structure for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee accounting operations, especially control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced finance and accounting functions
- Oversee monthly and year-end close process, including global financial consolidations
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions, ensuring that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Oversee all disbursements, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchases, employee expense reports, cash control, payroll processing, quarter and year-end closing including federal and state reports
- Oversee accounts receivable activities to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts
- Research financial developments in foreign economies that affect the organization; oversee all foreign currency transactions, buy forwards, etc.
- Manage all global payroll processes and ensure compliance with local laws and regulations
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Oversee the activities of the accounting department for the accurate and timely completion and dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, monthly financial statements and budgets and annual audits
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide financial analyses as needed, specifically for capital investments, pricing decisions and contract negotiations
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of ad hoc reports as needed
- Communicate with the CFO, CEO and Executive team on financial results, areas of risk, and areas of opportunity; coordinate the preparation of quarterly/semesterly reports for the Executive Team and the Board of Advisors
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of favorable tax codes
- Ensure global tax compliance
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all financial systems, processes and data that enhance the company's value
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business administration
- 6-10 years of progressive, hands-on accounting managerial experience as a Controller or VP of Finance within high growth environments
- Experience with coordinating year-end audit with external auditors and preparing audited year-end financial statements
- Knowledge of foreign accounting practices and foreign economies; demonstrated experience with complex foreign exchange management and reporting
- Proven leadership experience in effectively managing, motivating and developing staff
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Solid understanding of financial systems, including integrations and enhancements
- Strong leader with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Up to 20% travel, domestic and international as needed
Preferred (but not required):
- CPA license
- Big 4 experience
- International experience
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Standard hours and days are 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of this role and the study abroad field, evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
How to Apply:
Join our team! To apply, please visit our Careers site at: https://www.capa.org/careers; or e-mail a cover letter and resume and include Controller in subject line.
CAPA The Global Education Network is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, disability, age, genetic information, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time