Sound Transit plans, builds, and operates express bus, light rail and commuter train services, serving the urban areas of King, Pierce and Snohomish counties and changing the way the region moves. We are looking for employees who like to be challenged, work in a fast-paced environment and have passion for their work. Sound Transit offers a competitive benefits package and a chance to make a positive impact on the environment and quality of life.
Sound Transit is looking for an experienced Accounting Operations Manager to join its Finance department. Working in collaboration with various financial and non-financial business units, this position will oversee the accounting operations for the Agency. All in support of Sound Transit's cutting edge regional public transit projects.
This role will oversee the accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll activities, in an automated environment and is integral to ensuring accurate and prompt payment of vendors and employees and billing and collection of amounts due to Sound Transit. We are looking for manager-level candidates with several years of experience supervising in a large or complex organization, in addition to possessing strong business automation and process experience. Exposure to or knowledge of invoice requirements for complex construction and operating agreements a plus.
**THIS JOB POSTING MAY BE USED TO FILL MULTIPLE POSITIONS
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
In area of assignment:
- Manages the operations of accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll functions.
- Collaborates with business partners within the agency to provide systems and business process solutions that align with Agency goals, business requirements and priorities, with a focus on process improvement and automation, where cost effective.
- Manages projects by tracking and balancing customer requests from various department, individuals or groups. Prioritizes requests based on need, costs, benefits and technical constraints, partners with customers on special requests to meet the needs of the Agency. Implement payment and billing solutions that meet and integrate with their needs.
- Develops, maintains and improves internal controls for assigned functional areas and monitors activities to ensure compliance with policies, procedures and integrity and quality of functions performed.
- Manages team performance to established metrics. Develops monitoring systems and reports to assist in tracking performance to established metrics. Works closely with the Director of Accounting to assure key reconciliation and payment controls are performed timely and accurately.
- Oversees the payroll function, including payment of employees, preparation of monthly, quarterly and yearly tax returns and W-2's, as required by Federal, State or City regulations in a timely manner without incurring any penalties. Oversees the yearly production of 1099 miscellaneous income forms for all payees in compliance with regulations established by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Provides accounting guidance as needed to staff and internal agency customers and interacts with internal and external auditors for audits related to accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Creates performance objectives and measures for assigned functions consistent with and support of Agency goals and initiatives. Monitors quality and quantity of work product and work flow, and project or assignment prioritization.
- Works closely with assigned supervisors in the development of staff and coaches employees on best practices and provides tools to properly perform their essential functions, procedures and goals. Evaluates training opportunities and establishes performance measures for employee growth.
- Prepares or reviews performance reviews for all assigned staff, develops work plans; implements and/or recommends corrective actions, discipline and termination procedures as appropriate/necessary.
- Principal contact for assigned functions and inquiries requiring escalation from other divisions, departments, and programs at Sound Transit and outside agencies; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Serves as a central point of contact in areas assigned for agency-wide communication, subject matter expert on related policies and procedures.
- Supervise when necessary temporary employees and or contractors, monitor their deliverables and define their scope of work; review performance, negotiate contracts, when necessary, and act as the key contact.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field; minimum seven years' experience within accounting, payroll and finance functions or combination, preferable with 5+ years at a manager or supervisory capacity and 3+ years of business process or accounting system design, preferably in the payable, payments and payroll field. Prior management experience and strong leadership skills an advantage and experience in managing teams.
Technical experience to include experience with accounting systems, specifically accounts payable or accounts receivable and payroll, as well as training directly related to accounts payable and payroll functions and previous experience with automated payroll systems and system conversions. Experience with large-scale enterprise class applications, strong analysis skills and experience, understanding of relational databases and familiarity with BI tools and SharePoint, and intermediate level Microsoft Excel, Word and Access skills; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
CPA, CMA, CPP or equivalent certification or equivalent experience
Required Knowledge of:
Required Skill in:
- Strong knowledge of accounting, particularly accounts payable and payroll functions and techniques, such as reconciliation and management reporting that ensure the integrity of those functions.
- Strong understanding of business process excellence.
- Researching, analyzing and evaluating new service delivery methods.
- General knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding employment (wage and labor laws), Washington state sales and use tax, Federal income tax, and all other applicable regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing business process change and systems to meet business requirements, using defined techniques and methodologies.
- Initiative and resourcefulness in interpreting established policies, goals, and objectives and in applying concepts, plans, and strategies that may deviate from traditional methods and practices.
- Highly motivated, excellent analytical, organizational and communications skills, and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects under deadlines.
- Ability to work independently in a cross functional, matrixed environment and in teams.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, targeted to varying audiences. Comfortable with working cooperatively with a wide spectrum of customers and business partners as well as Agency officials, other departments and outside agencies and vendors.
- Excellent organizational skills to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy and able to oversee work areas involving large volumes of transactions and/or compliance requirements.
- Utilizing personal computer software programs affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets and reports.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
- The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.