The Billing Supervisor oversees and mentors medical billers in the Billing Department. This position supervises all claims (HCFA, UB92’s) on a weekly basis, reviews claims for completeness or errors, and fixes all minor errors, such as missing CPT codes and ICD-9. Requires extensive knowledge in medical billing, HMO encounter data, and CHDP reporting. May perform other clerical and billing duties as assigned by the Billing Manager, Controller, Finance, or Director Executive Director.
- Flexible, may require some evening and weekends
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and oversee the Medical Billing Lead, and Medical Billers in distribution and completion of work assignments on a daily/weekly basis.
- Review all claims for completeness and errors and correct them accordingly.
- Monitor the submission of encounter data (HCFA 1500) to the appropriate health plans.
- Review all denials for complexity, make corrections, and resubmit claims within 30 days of the denial received date.
- Monitor the billing of the BCDP, CHDP, Medi-Cal, CPSP, PPP, EAPC, HMO, Medicare, and other funding sources.
- Responsible for running all billing reports, researching reports for re-bills, and maintaining report books by funding source.
- Assist with pulling all required medical billing documents needed for site sites for all clinics and administrative audits.
- Review weekly “billed” report with department manager.
- Inform clinic managers of “unbilled” or “go-backs” claims on a daily/weekly basis.
- Generate weekly revenue report status to management team.
- Other duties assigned by the Billing Manager, Controller, Finance Director, or Executive Director
- Microsoft Office/Word/Excel/Outlook
- Excellent Communication Skills, with the ability to interpret medical billing issues
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Knowledge of Medi-Cal reimbursement guidelines preferred
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English (preferred)
- Ability to relate well to the cultural and ethnic characteristics, as well as, the population served by the organization
- Excellent Leadership Skills
- Reliable transportation
- Must be able to travel from facility to facility
- This position requires 10 % travel outside the local area.
Required Education/Experience and/or Licensure/Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in healthcare, finance, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of three years experience in medical billing and coding experience
- Must have at least one year experience as a Lead Biller
- Diploma in Health Claims Examiner/Medical Biller
- Commitment to goals and philosophy of Northeast Community Clinic
- Valid State Identification
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- OSHA Category 3 – Involves no regular exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues, and tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues are not a condition of employment.
- The work is majority of the time sedentary in nature.
- The employee is regularly required to communicate, frequently required to use repetitive motions, move, remain stationary, regularly push, pull and lift up to 20 pounds and occasionally push, pull and lift up to 40 pounds.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office/clinic setting (in some cases both settings) and to use standard office/clinic equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, read printed materials and use a computer, and communicate in person and over the telephone.
- The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) states that employees will not be required to pull and lift up to 40 pounds.
Job Type: Full-time
- medical billing and coding: 3 years
- Lead Biller: 1 year
- Supervisor: 1 year