Manages directly and indirectly CAD design function of company; customer CAD support, assistance and data exchange; manufacturing support for plant layouts; Supports Sales & Marketing with image files, data transfer and catalog support. Assists Manufacturing Engineering by developing fixture designs and drawings. Maintains legal and customer specifications and standards in Engineering Library.
Responsible for the capability assessment and development of the CAD design function; evaluation of new technology and concepts for CAD and Computer Aided Engineering; CAD specifications and standards to meet or exceed industry and QS9000/IATF16949 standards; evaluation of skills of the team and identify training needs; responsible for ITAR and EAR document control.
Essential & Secondary Functions:
- Responsible to follow all safety procedures and practices.
Responsibility & Customer-Focused:
- Ensures and maintains the quality guidelines, procedures, and standards are consistently followed throughout the manufacturing operation.
- The following is applicable for internal core team members as well as external resources.
- Manages all CAD and Prototype team members.
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels to support Product Development activities.
- Interviews and hires qualified applicants.
- Assigns duties and projects to Design personnel.
- Conducts performance reviews and recommends salary increases, promotions, terminations or disciplinary actions, according to established personnel policies.
- Recommends training, educational and development programs.
- Provides and maintains an effective workplace and work force.
- Recommends improvements in CAD hardware and software.
- Works with engineers and engineering managers to establish project priorities and schedule designers’ and draftsperson’s activities and overtime accordingly.
- Optimizes Grote’s CAD productivity through evaluation, selection, of CAD application software, techniques, practices, and equipment.
- Establishes efficient CAD data communication between Grote Design Engineering and internal and external organizations.
- Trains engineers, designers, and draftspersons in efficient use of CAD system, its operating system and application programs as required.
- Mentors and develops key Designers to the Senior Designer level.
- Expedites day-to-day requests for print changes and blue prints.
- Assures Engineering drawings and specifications are available on timely basis per QS9000/IATF 16949 requirements.
- Assures customer drawings are transmitted and maintained in accordance with QS9000/IATF 16949 requirements.
- Works with Engineering and IS to identify needs and justify capital and purchased service expenditures for CAD hardware, software, contract or outsourced design services, integration or support, and related equipment and systems.
- Establishes and maintains procedures for user and operator activity.
- Works with Engineering and IS to maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of CAD software application and CAD products and techniques through frequent vendor/customer interaction, specialized courses and review of technical literature.
- Participates in application software user group activities.
- Performs various duties as outlined in the Lead Designer job description on an as needed basis.
- Maintains procedures and standards for CAD design and drafting.
- Establishes and maintains Design Guidelines and Drawing requirements.
- Assures designs meet engineering and manufacturing requirements.
Required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as requested by supervisor.
Education, Experience, Training, Certifications and Licenses:
Degree or equivalent experience:
Years of experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering related field.
Minimum 6 to 8 years of CAD Design/Drafting experience in plastic and metal components, subassemblies, and systems.
Minimum 1 to 2 years of supervisory experience.
Experience in managing offsite resources is a plus.
Programming training and experience in computer operating systems, networks, and PC’s.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Product Engineering skills:
- Strategic thinking, problem solving, and implementation on a global scale.
- Working knowledge of GDT and ANSI drafting format standards.
- Working knowledge of CAD application software including 2D, 3D, solids modeling, and wire frame.
product design, tooling, assembly, fixtures, materials processing requirements
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Management and project management skills
Demonstrated ability to:
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Ability to coordinate many projects and prioritize projects per company and customer interests
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees
- Work at a highly motivated level with a sense of urgency and dedication to accomplishing tasks
- Ability to type on computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Adapt to frequent changes in work environment & prioritization.
- Work with general or minimal supervision
- Leverage existing and potential training
- Conflict resolution
- In-depth problem identification, analysis and resolution
- Prioritizing and executing multiple projects