Food Safety & Quality Lead Technician LOCATION: Twin Falls, Idaho
Food Safety & Quality POSITION TYPE: Non-Exempt
Food Safety & Quality Manager LEADS OTHERS: NA
YRS OF EXPERIENCE:
3 years DATE CREATED: July 2018
POSITION BACKUP IS:
FSQ Technician SALARY GRADE: 10
Clif Bar was born on a bike. In 1990, Gary Erickson set off on a 175-mile bike ride. Exhausted and hungry, he realized he couldn’t take another bite of the energy bars he brought along. At that moment he now calls ‘the epiphany,’ he had the idea to make a better tasting energy bar.
Today, Gary and his wife, Kit Crawford, continue to lead Clif Bar’s innovative business model. Guided by Five Aspirations – Sustaining our People, our Business, our Brands, our Community and the Planet – Clif Bar is a family- and employee-owned company that loves food. We believe that food provides health, joy, and energy to do the things we are passionate about. The food we create is good for people and the planet.
In April 2015 Clif Bar broke ground to build our new commercial bakery, Clif Bar Baking Company of Twin Falls. We believe that happy, healthy people create the best food and envision an innovative environment where our people can grow and succeed both personally and professionally. We strive to:
- Create a company culture that inspires and supports our people in and outside work.
- Sustain our people with competitive pay and benefits, holistic wellness offerings, and other innovative benefits.
- Hire the right people for the right positions and support them to grow in their current and future roles.
Working at Clif Bar Baking Company is a chance to make the highest quality bars at a different kind of bakery, with great people who are making great food to FEED YOUR ADVENTURE.
This is an exciting new step for Clif Bar. Let it be an exciting new step for you too!
Clif Bar Baking Company is looking for a FOOD SAFETY AND QUALITY LEAD TECHNICIAN join our team at our bakery in Twin Falls, Idaho.
The ideal candidate will have an immediate connection to our Five Aspirations, as well as embody the “Clif Bar Ingredients” (Create, Inspire, Connect, Own It, and Be Yourself).
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions, and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The Food Safety and Quality Lead Technician will focus on continuous improvement across all the food safety and quality systems at Clif Bar Baking Company. This position will ensure a high level of employee safety, food safety, as well as acting as the go-to person for food safety and quality questions in the production environment. The Food Safety and Quality Lead Technician will ensure compliance with Clif Bar Baking Company standards and procedures for food safety, government, and third-party regulations as it pertains to the production shift he/she is on. This position will be the lead person on their shift for meeting the requirements of SQF.
- Ensure personal safety, food safety and quality protocols are followed.
- Assist in root cause analyses for customer and consumer inquiries, as well as out of specification product.
- Assist and develop training programs utilizing quality technicians to ensure operators and staff are properly trained on food safety and quality procedures.
- Lead and perform internal shift audit activities of bakery processes.
- Develop and provide sensory training to quality technicians and operators.
- Support daily production needs focusing on maintaining high quality safe products.
- Provide and analyze reports on food safety and quality data.
- Write and/or assist in the development of standard operating procedures and work instructions.
- Using continuous improvement tools, improve food safety and quality metrics.
- Ensure sanitation verification is completed and meets the food safety criteria for the bakery.
- Ensure allergen control programs are functioning and accurate.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Position-Specific Skills Required
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all communications and interactions.
- Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients.
- Be flexible and available to interact and connect with people at all levels in the organization.
- Be self-directed and motivated.
- Identify areas for process improvements through analysis of production practices and training. Includes identifying standard work practices where applicable.
- Provides alternate shift coverage as needed.
Leadership Skills Required
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Able to work collaboratively with all teams and departments to continuously improve food safety and quality.
- Ability to assist in project management and to apply principles of logical and/or scientific thinking to the resolution of problems.
Technical Expertise Required
- Strong understanding of manufacturing and food safety requirements to meet personnel safety, food safety, and quality standards.
- Knowledge of Safe Quality Foods (SQF) audit system.
- Experienced at training quality and production personnel.
- Experience with previous manufacturing plant or line start-ups a strong plus.
- Experience performing food safety and quality activities in an organic food manufacturing environment preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or a related field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of food safety & quality experience in a production facility, preferably in a food processing plant.
- Experience in an organic manufacturing or food production environment a plus.
Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!
1-5% of the day
6-33% of the day
34-66% of the day
67+% of the day
Lift 36-50# (kitting bins)
Overhead lift (max. = 50# to 55”)
Carry (heaviest items = 32-50# product bins Rarely)
X (light items)
Reach – waist level or below
Reach – waist to overhead
Push – max. force = 101#
Pull – max. force = 150#
Other required physical demands:
- Visual/verbal/auditory Acuity – Far sighted/near sighted/color vision; auditory and verbal skills
- Exposure to Temperature – heat and below freezing temperatures – inside and out
- Slippery Floors – requires balance and agility inside and outside
- Work with and/or around: moving conveyors, various automated equipment, lift trucks, manual equipment, allergens including soy and nut products and airborne powders
- Tolerate and work at heights of up to 30 ft.
- Sensory Acuity – including taste, touch, and smell
Pre-employment reference check, background check, drug screening, and physical abilities test are required for this position.
Clif Bar Baking Company of Twin Falls, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.
To apply online or for additional information, please visit our website: www.clifbar.com/who-we-are/careers