AMR has an opportunity available for an Executive Director with our client, National Association of State Chief Administrators (NASCA), in our corporate headquarters located in Lexington, Kentucky. Remote candidates will be considered.
NASCA is an independent organization of State Chief Administrators responsible for providing operational support to other state agencies. NASCA’s mission is to help state chief administrators and their teams strategically transform state government operations through the power of shared knowledge and thought leadership.
The Executive Director is a strategic leader who is capable of overseeing the successful function of the NASCA organization. The Executive Director will be responsible for directly carrying out the plans, goals, objectives and directives of NASCA within the scope of the AMR Annual workplan. The Executive Director will provide leadership and direction necessary to sustain the growth of NASCA.
In this role, you will:
Focus areas of this association include:
- Support the Executive Committee and other volunteer leaders in establishing and achieving organization objectives
- Manage association programs, including: Corporate Partner Program, the Institute on Management and Leadership, etc.
- Work to advance strategic goals and help identify potential barriers to success
- Develop and implement policies to enhance operations excellence and build trust
- Represent the organization at meetings and with the staff of partner organizations
- Association growth including increased membership, introduction and implementation of new services/program, and expansion of corporate participation
- Building and maintaining key strategic partnerships
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience successfully leading/managing an association and will provide professional experience in board and committee management, operations, finance, and the areas described in the key responsibilities below. The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative team player who can work effectively with all key stakeholders; bring an entrepreneurial spirit and be committed to supporting the best interests of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Forecasts conditions, assesses member needs, and allocates resources appropriately.
- Assist in setting annual and long-range strategic goals and develops strategies and programs to achieve them.
- Ensures that programs, activities, and services are performed to achieve client satisfaction and meet AMR’s obligations in the annual workplan.
- Develops and executes the corporate partners program, including recruiting and retaining corporate partner members.
- Responsible for the recruitment, orientation and retention of members (state and corporate).
- Oversees the annual development of policy priorities set by the membership and ensures alignment of the research agenda, publications, webinars and event content to those priorities.
- Maintains a strong understanding and awareness of the policies and issues most important to membership.
- Manages team of direct and indirect reports to ensure AMR meets obligations in the annual workplan.
- Coordinates services provided by other AMR teams (finance, conference & events, graphic design, website, etc.) as per the needs of the client.
- Serves as the main point of contact between the AMR staff and association leadership.
- Ensures relations with other organizations and entities are consistent with and advance the interests of the association.
- Oversees relationships with affiliated organizations, intergovernmental partners, and the media.
- Schedules, attends and participates in board and committee meetings and manages agendas, materials, reports and tracking of outcomes.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the association, as assigned.
- Manages financial matters, assists in establishing the budget, and ensures that revenues and expenses are monitored against the budget.
- Establishes and implements policies and ensures compliance with bylaws.
- Ensures the ethical and prudent operation of the association and AMR resources.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships between AMR and the client.
- Informs AMR Executive Management of any known or anticipated exceptions to expected outcomes on workplan commitments.
- Maintains AMR’s internal best practices and standard client service operating procedures.
- May serve as a supervisor of other AMR employees, which requires effective communication and evaluation of performance expectations, measures and results.
- Serves as a mentor and coach while developing AMR team members.
- Maintains paper and electronic documents according to records retention policies and timelines.
- Any other duties and projects that may be assigned by AMR Executive Management.
Training and Experience:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including teamwork, coaching, writing, listening, and speaking
- Strong business acumen
- Ability to work with diverse group of stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to implement continuous improvement initiatives and develop initiatives from concept through implementation
- Demonstrated ability to develop new initiatives from concept through implementation
- Demonstrated track record in securing major funding and leading development activities
- Knowledge of application of technology
- Knowledge of the association management company industry and the marketplace that supports the association management industry.
- Ability to guide, direct and manage multiple projects within department and with other staff members to achieve project goals on time and within budget.
- Ability to respond to common Association Management inquiries from staff, clients and regulatory agencies.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret manuals, legal documents, financial reports, technical reports, professional journals, and industry/trade magazines.
- Ability to travel 5 – 10 times per year to represent the association.
- Advanced degree in related field or combination of Bachelor’s degree and equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of leadership experience in either an Executive Director or other senior leadership position in an association or relevant non-profit. Demonstrated success in overall management of a membership-based organization.
- Prior government association experience preferred
- CAE certification preferred
AMR is one of the country’s most dynamic association management companies providing flexible, tailored services to trade associations, professional societies and alliances. Our mission is to exceed client expectations through innovative management practices and a commitment to excellence and company values while providing opportunities for our dedicated team members to achieve their professional goals.
If you wish to be a part of a growing company committed to serving clients while providing employees with opportunities for growth, development and flexible working arrangements then please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
AMR provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes a generous amount of Paid Time Off, Flexible Work schedules in addition to Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Insurance, and 401(k).