This is an exciting opportunity for a self-directed Staff Assistant to work in the Division of General Internal Medicine, (DGIM) and the Mongan Institute, (MI).
The Division of General Internal Medicine (DGIM) at Massachusetts General Hospital encompasses more than 400 general medicine physicians with world-renowned programs in teaching and training, research, clinical practice, hospital medicine, consultative medicine, global health, innovation and scholarship. The DGIM is an integrated, coordinated group that works across clinical areas to develop innovative new programs addressing health care needs in clinics, hospitals, patients’ homes and the community.
Newly founded in December 2015, the Mongan Institute in the Department of Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital is dedicated to supporting research across MGH in the areas of population and health care delivery science. The Institute bridges research spanning data science to delivery science, and evaluative science to implementation science including a variety of disciplines and methods such as epidemiology, biostatistics, predictive analytics, psychology, sociology, and economics.
The Mongan Institute brings together nine existing research centers: the Medical Practice Evaluation Center, the Health Policy Research Center, the Global Health Research Center, the Disparities Solutions Center, the Disparities Research Unit, the Cancer Outcomes Research Program, the Clinical and Translational Epidemiology Unit, the MGH Health Decision Science Center, and the Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, as well as a developing program in primary care research in the Division of Internal Medicine. Mongan Institute researchers also include health services researchers in in other divisions within the Department of Medicine and in affiliate departments including the Department of Psychiatry. The Mongan Institute applies population and health care delivery science to expand and strengthen research at Mass General with a specific focus on health disparities and advancing health equity, health policy, population health, implementation science, and patient outcomes. The Mongan Institute currently has approximately 89 faculty researchers and postdoctoral fellows and is advancing a strategic plan to be the academic home for population and health care delivery science across MGHs clinical departments.
The candidate will work full time under the direction of the Administrative Director of DGIM and the Administrative Director of the MI. The Staff Asst will serve as the Office/Facilities coordinator (OFC) and front desk assistant and be a representative of both floors. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work effectively and professionally in collaboration with diverse groups of people. The candidate must demonstrate strong organizational, administrative, and oral and written communication skills
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general direction of the Administrative Directors, the incumbent will provide support to this initiative including:
- Greeting and welcoming all visitors to the 100C office suite.
- Visitors will need to be buzzed in upon arrival and it is the responsibility of the OFC to ask who the visitor is here to see and to contact the division member to let them know that their visitor has arrived.
- The Office Facilities Coordinator (OFC) will be responsible for accepting and delivering all FedEx, UPS, US Mail, Airborne Express packages
- The OFC will be responsible for sorting the mail that is received in the morning delivery. This includes the Partner’s mail delivery as well as the US Mail delivery.
- Maintain the physical upkeep of the reception area, conference rooms- including supplies, technical assistance, equipment work orders, telecommunication work orders, arranging for cleaning and upkeep. Look ahead at the calendar and make sure the staff that booked meetings for the afternoon are clear on the instructions for running the equipment in the conference room audiovisual/audio equipment. The OFC will be the technical advisor for the conference rooms
- Manage the supply ordering- develop and manage a system for ordering office supplies
- Manage the Office Equipment- Copiers, Fax machines, Printers- work orders, and all supplies;(paper, toner, etc).
- Before leaving for the day make sure each machine has paper, toner and no errors that would need to be fixed.
- Coffee Machines- manage supply ordering for both machines, call in service when problems arise, ensure cups, coffee, cream, sugar, hot chocolate bins are full each day and that the physical machine is in good working order
- Building work orders- when notified of an issue on the floor, (i.e. no soap, a spill, bathroom problem, lighting issue, heat/cooling issue) submit and follow up with a work order in building engines
- Maintain and update the telephone directory each month for the 15th and 16th floors. Maintain an up to date seating list. Contacting groups monthly for changes.
- Send out office notifications when necessary regarding any issues that arise or need to be corrected or fixed and or have work orders submitted. Keeping staff notified on the status
- Provides assistance with coordination of conferences and meetings for health care leaders and executives, including meeting preparations, communication with participants, developing and analyzing evaluations, preparing participant meeting materials and staffing events.
- Handles telephone communication, including setting up conference calls and responding professionally to inquiries and requests.
- Arranges travel including air, ground and hotel and prepares expense reports to reimburse travel expenditures. Maintains and handles confidential information.
- Schedules meetings/functions/appointments, including meetings with multiple individuals who have complicated calendars and limited availability.
- Assists with processing and providing appropriate documents for Speaker requests.
- Tracks and documents expenditures for different cost centers and grants.
- Assists with preparation of PowerPoint presentations and manuscripts and presentation materials as needed. Manages ordering and stocking of supplies.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone with a high degree of professionalism, who is highly organized, detail oriented and creative, and who has the ability to complete tasks on-time.
The successful candidate is able to multi-task and manage multiple projects and their components.
Must be able to pro-actively take initiative and be a team player, as well as work independently under the supervision of the administrative directors.
The candidate must also demonstrate strong communication skills, both oral and written.
Profiency with standard office software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) as well as Internet applications. Knowledge of EBUY, ECHECK, Info ED and Peoplesoft a plus
Bachelor’s Degree preferred not required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
Skills to work efficiently and effectively and strive to do so in all aspects of position.
Discretion and Confidentiality:
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly.
Excellent interpersonal/communications and customer service skills, a cheerful and bright personality. Good grammar and spelling skills
Knowledge in all aspects of safety.
Normal office conditions.
No direct fiscal responsibilities.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus
MGH Main Campus 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
MGH General Medicine
Apr 2, 2019