MDC is a dynamic non-profit known for using best practices and finding solutions for vulnerable populations in Pierce County. This position works directly with students providing face to face mentoring. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join the MDC team. We are looking for someone who combines that special combination of excellent motivational skills, communications, and the ability to provide resources and tools required to remove the barriers that students may be experiencing, to provide career resources and educational advising for students in grades 7-12 wishing to pursue post-secondary education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Host weekly educational workshops
- Provides accurate information on post-secondary opportunities, GED/high School completion and financial literacy
- Recruits and selects eligible participants for the program
- Assists program participants to prepare and submit financial aid and college admission forms
- Provides accurate information on federal, state and local education resources
- Establishes rapport with potential students of various cultures, economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Assists participants with career exploration
- Assists participants to overcome obstacles which would interfere, delay, defer or halt their attainment of career and educational goals through advising services
- Provides information and referral for community social services
- Records participants data and services rendered in database
- Informs participants of their rights including confidentiality of records and information
- Provides follow up services for each participant in caseload
- Take participants on college and cultural field trips
- Record all data weekly in student access database
- Other duties as assigned
- BA Degree
- Experience with career/college planning and/or experience working with individuals from low income, first generation background
- The incumbent must successfully pass criminal history Federal and State background check, have valid/current WA state driver’s license or the ability to obtain prior to selection, reliable means of transportation and personal auto insurance.
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and cooperative skills
- Ability to communicate with persons from all socio-economic strata on an individual basis and in a group setting
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Ability to advice in careers
- Ability to assist individuals with college exploration
- Ability to maintain and organize participant files
- Ability to present career and post-secondary planning information to individuals and groups
- Knowledge of financial aid resources and college application process
- Knowledge of other languages or ability to work with persons from different cultures
- Knowledge and proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software and database management
- Ability to collect data and document services
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
- Ability to administer and interpret tests used for career planning.
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, or as required with a regular 40 hour work week.
MDC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other applicable protected classifications.
Job Type: Full-time