Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Cash register experience.
- Previous work experience in a public library and/or retail preferred.
- Full time, 40 hour workweek
- Work up to two evenings and variable Saturdays and Sundays.
- Required to adapt to a flexible schedule as arranged by the Customer Services Manager to meet scheduling needs.
- Strong commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience working with computers, including Internet, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Windows and Mac OS.
- Follow instructions, be accurate and pay attention to details.
- Problem solve in a professional manner with Library patrons, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, and move library materials (20-25 lbs.) and to stand for long periods of time.
- Willing to work at or transfer to other service areas or branches.
- Accept and manage change.
- Maintain patron and staff confidentiality.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships with staff at all levels.
- Work with minimum supervision and reach and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Learn the library's automated system, as well as self-service technology.
- Exercise initiative, be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Interpret and communicate Library services, philosophy, policies, and procedures to patrons in a courteous, friendly, and positive manner using one’s best judgment.
Essential Job Duties:
Provide assistance to patrons in finding materials, making recommendations, and answering patron account queries. Under the direct supervision of the Customer Service Manager, the Customer Service Associate will:
- Provide hands-on customer service at the Customer Service stations at least 90% of the workweek.
- Assist patrons in person or on the phone with account functions such as check-in and check-out, including homebound support; incomplete returns; renewing materials and placing holds; collecting fines; searching the patron database; and issuing library cards. Perform cash register operations and daily departmental procedures including opening, closing, and balancing cash drawer.
- Provide accurate information and directional assistance to patron inquiries including locating items on the shelf; performing catalog inquiries, and offering materials recommendations to patrons as needed. Connect patrons to the appropriate staff member for reference or technical assistance.
- Assist with the creation of displays and replenish them as needed.
- Keep abreast of publishing and popular culture trends.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $11.26 to $13.25 /hour
- cash register: 1 year (Required)
- public library and/or retail: 1 year (Preferred)
Communication method(s) used: