This position is responsible for all aspects of Freight Brokerage business unit of my third party logistics client. The role has direct accountability for sales, customer onboarding, rate negotiations, operational execution of shipments and overall performance management of brokerage team and business. Additionally, the Vice President Freight Brokerage Operations is expected to develop and execute strategies that drive growth, increase profitability and improve processes while providing leadership support to the organization. Plan is to double the number of people in the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Freight Brokerage Strategy
- Be the face of the company's Freight Brokerage business, both internally and externally
- Lead the execution of the Brokerage Business unit strategy.
- Perform basic planning, analysis, reporting and communication activities
- Provide insight to industry bench marking and best practices.
- Stay current with industry trends and competitor activity.
- Assess IT systems and related data out puts, and recommend enhancements.
- Act as a strategic business partner to the Transportation and other leadership teams.
Sales and Operations Oversight
- Lead a team of Account managers that are responsible for a portfolio of diverse customer accounts with a focus on promoting growth, achieving margin objectives and key performance indicators.
- Support (and lead as needed) the development of new business relative to rate analysis, creative solutions design, pricing other commercial terms.
- Create effective sales strategies for customers inclusive of profitability analyses, equipment and mode considerations and market capacity intelligence.
- Enable a high level of customer service by interacting with various levels of client and internal leadership, monitor performance against customer SLA’s and KPI’s and ensuring effective problem resolution.
- Meet and present to current and potential clients, in include senior level (C-suite) executives on the company's capabilities.
- Delivers clear, honest, and proactive communication to customers and carriers.
- Enforce compliance to (and establish where needed) SOP’s and /or best practices relative to sales, customer onboarding, rate negotiations, operational execution of shipments.
- Effectively utilize the IT platforms that support the business (MecuryGate, QLIK/Unify, Project44, Trucker Tools, Ambition, Ultipro and others as needed)
- Support (and lead as needed) the implementation and onboarding of new business.
- Utilize data, analysis, LEAN Six Sigma tools and reporting of transportation metrics to drive continual process improvement.
- Foster and/or enhance relationships with customers, carriers and other related vendors.
- Lead customer QBR’s
Talent Management & Leadership
- Build, train, develop, coach, mentor and manage assigned team.
- Assess performance of employees and successfully manage team to achieve goals
- Lead Employee Engagement activities
- Conduct monthly communications meeting regarding expectations, performance metrics and strategic direction.
- Communicate operations issues to senior management and recommend changes.
Education and Other Qualifications
- College Graduate Bachelor’s in Business, Economics or related field preferred)
- Senior Management – Transportation Management and Brokerage (5-10 years)
- 3-5 years of experience in prior transportation brokerage sales/account management
- Detailed knowledge of Freight Logistics, capacity Management, carrier management/sourcing.
- Ability to motivate, train, lead, and evaluate the performance of subordinates.
- Highly proficient in the use of MS Office – Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, & Word.
- Ability to develop and present information professionally to internal and external management/customers.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and meet specific goals and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with tact, diplomacy, and authority, when necessary.
- Must possess strong analytical abilities, organizational skills, and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations required
- Travel required: 15% or more.
- Effective problem solver and decision maker with a strong capability to access workload and prioritize tasks.
- Self-motivated with an eye for detail and ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment.
- High-touch customer service mindset and ability to provide clear, honest and proactive communication.
- Experienced with transportation/brokerage software, preferably Mercury Gate.
- Communicate Effectively
- Action Oriented
- Nimble Learning
- Situational Adaptability
- Customer Focus
- Financial Acumen
Compensation : flexible DOE plus commissions plus bonus
Job Type: Full-time
- Brokerage sales/account management: 3 years (Required)