PART TIME PERMANENT, HOURLY
UP TO 28 HOURS PER WEEK
Gary Comer Youth Center:
Having opened its doors in June 2006, the state-of-the-art Gary Comer Youth Center (GCYC) offers positive extracurricular alternatives in a welcoming and safe environment. The mission is to provide the support for all of our youth to graduate from high school, prepared to pursue college and careers. Located on Chicago's South Side, the Gary Comer Youth Center draws its primary membership from the youth residing on the South Side of Chicago with a focus on Grand Crossing residents. GCYC is the oldest and largest institution sitting on the Comer Education Campus which includes our organizational partners Gary Comer College Prep High School, the South Shore Drill Team and Gary Comer Middle School. For more information, please visit: www.garycomeryouthcenter.org.
Comer Education Campus:
With a comprehensive approach to education and youth development, the Comer Education Campus is devoted to guiding young people to and through college and into adult life. The campus constitutes a unique partnership between Gary Comer Youth Center, Gary Comer College Prep, Gary Comer Middle School, and the college success initiative UtmostU. The campus serves over 2,000 youth from across Chicago's South Side, offering out-of-school time enrichment, academic enhancement, and college success programs. Working with best-in-class partner organizations, the Comer Education Campus empowers young people with the tools they need for post-secondary and life success. For more information, please visit: http://comereducationcampus.org/
Culinary Workers are responsible for executing daily meal services, fulfilling catering orders and requests, staffing special events for the culinary department and occasional assistance with afterschool culinary programming for youth aged 8-18.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for certain food service functions as defined such as GCYC daily meals, daily staff lunch, and catering of special events including preparation, food quality, presentation, service delivery, administration, and cleaning
- Assist with catering for special events, meetings, luncheons and culinary classes
- Responsible for all functions related to clean up and sanitation before, during and after food services
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings
- Support the mission of GCYC and serve as a role model for the youth and community
- Work collaboratively in a team setting serving the needs of youth and take on other duties as assigned
- Responsible for maintaining a physically and emotionally safe environment to further ensure proper youth supervision and managing conduct issues and incidents.
- Attends required staff meetings and trainings.
- Works with other staff to execute effective outreach, recruitment and retention strategies.
- Responsible for accurate data collection and data entry for grant and program compliance.
- Supports the mission of GCYC.
- Works collaboratively in a team setting serving the needs of youth.
- Is committed to the safety and development of all GCYC members.
- Takes on other duties as needed.
- Serves as a role model for youth and community.
- Abides by the employee handbook and established GCYC policies and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of equipment and utensils commonly used in industrial kitchens
- Ability to follow a recipe and produce a consistent and quality product
- Ability to consistently follow safe work practices and demonstrate proper hygiene required for food safety
- Ability and willingness to work independently, as directed, with attention to detail
- Availability to work afterschool hours, occasional weekends and holidays; demonstrate a respect for attendance and being on time
- Demonstrated cultural competency; dedication to working with youth, families and community members in our care
- Ability to use Microsoft Office365, Microsoft Suite, and general technology proficiency
- Excellent customer service skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- High standards and expectations of yourself, your students and your coworkers
Education & Skill Requirements
- Valid food handlers' safety and sanitation certification, or successfully complete within 7 days of hire
- Culinary experience in a professional kitchen or culinary education preferred
Physical Work Requirements & Environment:
- Must possess genuine care and concern for youth – especially pre-teens and teens.
- Program area management skills that are engaging, non-oppressive and age appropriate.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Must be able to initiate and finish projects.
- Able to communicate effectively with youth, co-workers, stakeholders and families in a respectful and culturally competent manner via written and verbal communication.
- Must enjoy working with teams but can also work independently.
- Enjoys being the leader but is also confident enough to take directions from others.
- Must be able to take initiative and problem solve. Must be a creative thinker.
- Demonstrates strong accuracy in all areas of work.
- Must possess adaptive vitality.
- Demonstrates understanding of the positive youth development philosophy.
- Demonstrates an understanding of guidance and discipline principles & conflict resolution strategies.
- Must demonstrate cultural competency, dedication to working with youth, families and community members in our care.
- Must have basic computer literacy skills – including Microsoft Office, independent use of the internet and ability to learn and properly utilize software systems.
GCYC environment is consistently bustling with youth and community members. Center's work is fast paced and varied. Our work is done on site where our youth and families are. Therefore, it is required that team members meet these requirements:
- Have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Possess the ability to walk during field trips and to complete building and program rounds.
- Be able to stand and move with youth during programs, field trips and special events throughout the day.
- Must be able to ride various modes of transportation including school and coach buses, airplanes, cars, vans and public transportation.
- Can operate in crowds or with small groups.
- Extended standing and movement is required daily
- Majority of work is conducted in an industrial kitchen with exposure to hot and cold elements
- Operation of general kitchen equipment is required
- Travel between buildings and to offsite locations may be required with exposure to outside elements