We are actively looking for that right person who wants to pursue a Machining career, while working in a state of the art manufacturing center.
Are you searching for a job that provides dynamic and impactful results, in multiple fields that includes Space, Defense and other National interests?
Would you like join a team that shares knowledge, encourages learning, creativity and career growth?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join APL.
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is focused on building defining innovations that ensure our nation's preeminence in the 21st century. We are seeking an Entry Level Machinist to join our team, in the Advanced Mechanical Fabrication Group. You will work in a state of the art manufacturing and research facility and you will be supporting R&D programs, including National Security, Space & Undersea hardware programs. APL is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
As an Entry Level Machinist, you will...
- Your primary role will be to setup, program, and operate conventional and CNC machining centers.
- Be responsible for fabrication hardware for end-to-end manufacturing with supervision oversight.
- Perform in-process inspection using precision measuring instruments (i.e., I.D and O.D. Micrometers, calipers) ensuring customer's hardware requirements are met.
- Communicate and engage with customers to achieve end objectives.
- Achieve and maintain proficiency with all applicable quality processes associated with assigned work.
- Work in a collaborative environment sharing skills and machining knowledge with peers
- Monitor and record duration and completion of work performed in Work Management system in accordance with business and Quality procedures.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisors/managers and work as a cohesive team with other staff members
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job...
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Have 1-2 years of experience working with conventional equipment, i.e. mills and lathes.
- Have some experience with CAD CAM software and setting up Fabrication machinery.
- Proficient computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Office and Web-based applications.
- You are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information.
- Security clearance eligibility requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.