The Fill In Phlebotomist must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide phlebotomy services for all age patients, urine drug screen collections (DOT/non-DOT), Breath Alcohol Testing, as applicable. This position may be asked to work at a variety of locations, helping to cover staffing shortages. The duties of this position may vary depending on the laboratory. Must be flexible to work on an as needed basis. May be required to travel to sites where needed.
1. In a professional and compassionate manner, provides care to patients.
2. Maintains proficiency with laboratory and electronic medical record system as demonstrated by appropriately entering, accessing and executing lab orders.
3. Performs venipuncture and capillary collection as appropriate on adult and pediatric patients.
4. Instruct and prepare patients for special tests.
5. Collect and process urine drug screens and performs breath alcohol testing according to written procedure.
6. Ensures the reception area, blood draw stations and rooms are clean and stocked.
7. Collect and handle specimens according to department or reference laboratory procedures.
8. Collect specimens from physician’s offices in the clinic; process the lab orders and distribute specimens to designated areas, as applicable.
9. Load and unload courier buckets, distributing contents to appropriate areas.
10. Orient and mentor new employees and students.
11. Utilizes free time constructively. Keep current on departmental policies/procedures and other communications.
12. Participates in departmental meetings and pursues continuing education programs, seminars and workshops.
13. May be assigned to work at other laboratory sites to assure adequate staffing coverage.
14. Follows established blood borne pathogen standards.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Position descriptions are not intended to be and should not be constructed to be a complete list of all the duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents. Duties, responsibilities and expectations may be added, deleted or modified at any time at the discretion of the supervisor.
1. Graduate of a certified Phlebotomy program OR a graduate from a Medical Assistant program OR a high school graduate with one year of previous phlebotomy experience.
2. Good communication, customer service, and human relations skills.
3. Basic skill in use of computers.
4. Demonstrates flexibility to meet department needs on short notice.
5. Adapts easily to the workflow of the different departments
6. Available to work a flexible schedule on short notice.
7. Ability to work at least one shift in a 90 day period or as designated per department
8. Ability to travel to other sites as needed.
1. Graduate of certified Phlebotomy program
2. Previous Laboratory Information System (LIS) computer experience
3. PBT (ASCP) Phlebotomy Technician certification or AMT Registered Phlebotomy Technician (RPT) or National Health Career Association (CPT)
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when working lab equipment, legible handwriting, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to bend/twist while performing various tasks
6. Ability to safely lift and to push/pull up to 20 pounds. Direct patient handling tasks periodically occur.
7. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with blood borne pathogens or other chemicals.
8. Ability to wear a respirator.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.