The Durrant Lab at the University of Pittsburgh (https://durrantlab.com) develops and applies computer-aided drug design (CADD) techniques, including techniques that rely on machine learning. To encourage broad adoption by others in the field, we also implement these tools as easy-to-use web and stand-alone apps (using NW.js) with GUI interfaces.
We are seeking applications for a Computational-biology Research Specialist with extensive computer-programming experience to work in our campus office in Pittsburgh.
Essential skills include:
1. Python, numpy, and scipy.
3. High proficiency in Linux, including the use of remote Unix-based computer clusters/super computers (PBS and/or slurm, etc.).
4. Verbal and written communication skills. The applicant must be able to work in teams.
Non-essential but desirable skills/qualifications include:
1. The python modules pandas, scikit-learn, and Tensorflow are important, but can be learned on the job.
4. PHP, especially in the context of the Wordpress framework.
5. Web design (graphic design).
6. Experience in digital security.
7. 3D graphic design (Blender, WebGL).
8. Past computational Biology research using Linux-based high-performance computing.
9. Experience running molecular dynamics simulations and/or small-molecule virtual screens.
The supervisor will give general direction, but independent problem solving and scientific curiosity are highly valued. The applicant may also assist in mentoring undergraduate students.
The Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences is committed to building a culturally diverse staff.
Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in support of a diverse community.
Education Required Baccalaureate Minimum Related Experience Level Required 1-2 years experience Additional Education and/or Experience Essential to the Position
At least a B.S. in a relevant field (computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, chemistry, physics, etc.).
Child Protection Clearances
The following PA Act 153 clearances and background checks may be required prior to commencement of employment and as a condition of continued employment: PA State Police Criminal Record Check, FBI Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance.
Background Check For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check. Assignment Category Regular, Full-Time Percent Effort 100 Scheduled Work Hours 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. If Varied Work Schedule, Please Specify If Part Time, Actual Standard Weekly Hours Campus Pittsburgh University Benefits
The University offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package for all full-time and part-time regular employees including:
- Education benefits and a retirement plan with employer match
- Group medical insurance, life insurance, and optional vision and dental insurance
- Free transit service within Allegheny County for employees of the Oakland campus (Port Authority Transit)
- Time off benefits including vacation, sick and personal time