About J.P. Morgan Corporate & Investment Bank
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
Wholesale Payments Operations (WPO) is part of the Digital & Platform Services organization in the Corporate & Investment Bank. WPO supports Payments, Receivables, and Trade Finance Products and acts as the payment hub for JPMorgan Chase, across the firm’s business lines. WPO consists of 5,500 employees across 60 sites and supports 142k corporations, financial institutions, governments and municipalities domiciled in over 180 countries. On average, WPO processes 30.1MM transactions daily across 122 currencies valued at $3.2T.
Wholesale Payments Operations and the Payments industry as a whole are undergoing significant amounts of change and disruption – industry, technology, and organizational. It is critical to develop and execute on a strategy that will enhance the organization’s business and operational model and position it for continued success.
We are seeking an Executive Director level candidate to lead Data Transformation for the WPO organization. The role will report directly to the Head of Innovation for Wholesale Payments Operations. The role covers all of WPO data including: Transaction data – i.e. the approx. 35 million payments that go through our pipes every day, and billions of merchant transactions; Reference data – client reference data, product reference data, firm reference data; and Supporting data – all of MIS, taxonomy, finance data.
The successful candidate will create a data strategy, build and leverage sophisticated data analysis capabilities, design solutions, and drive the execution of such strategy across WPO. This role is that of a service provider to the Operations teams and to be successful, the candidate need to closely collaborate with Operations Leaders and their respective organizations, as well as key partners across Digital & Platform Services including Operations Transformation and Technology, Product Management, and Business colleagues.
This role is ideal for a highly motivated individual with advanced data strategy, problem solving, and transformation as well as strong influencing, interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will have a strong background and proven ability to transform Operations businesses using a data driven approach.
- Evaluate the current data architecture across the WPO organization and shape the future state data architecture and roadmap with consideration of advancements in the industry
- Develop and own data architecture for operations transformation, partnering closely with Technology Partners, Data Governance team on evaluation, design, and implementation of (data warehouses, data lakes, and other solutions).
- Review current data and MIS processes across WPO and develop and execute on plans for continuous data quality improvement as well as automation/efficiency.
- Scope, structure, and build sophisticated data analytics capabilities to identify transformation opportunities and to measure the impact of effecting innovation.
- Manage and synthesize large amounts of information effectively and creatively.
- Generate and deliver insights from data extrapolation to key stakeholders in Operations, Digital & Platform Services, Payments Businesses, Functional areas and Technology
- Simultaneously work on multiple initiatives and accelerate decision making across CIB WPO priorities.
- Lead a small group of team members and build/develop the right skills, experience, knowledge and capacity in support of the above.
Skills Required / Qualifications
- Deep domain knowledge in payments business
- Proven experience in developing and leading significant data strategy initiatives
- Complex problem-solving skills, with hands-on ability
- Advanced analytics and insights development experience – telling stories with data
- Ability to navigate a complex and matrixed environment and drive alignment around a common vision and strategy
- Strong ability to build relationships with and influence colleagues, business leaders and functional partners
- Confident communicator with ability to provide clear and succinct verbal and written updates
- Superior execution skills
- Strong risk and control mindset
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ongoing coaching and development of team members