Full Job Description
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
Baxter Renal Care R&D is engaged in the development and support of dialysis products used in clinics and homes worldwide. This is an exciting opportunity to jump in as a principal software engineer responsible for the design, development, and sustaining engineering activities of software used within dialysis equipment to control patient therapy. This collaborative role as a firmware development engineer gives you the opportunity to build new products and features into dialysis equipment; this ultimately sustains and supports patients’ wellbeing allowing Baxter to continue its mission to save and sustain lives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Design, architecture and development of embedded software at multiple phases in product development (concepting, development, and maintenance).
2) Works with Product owners, architects and developers to transform software requirements into software architecture and actionable designs.
3) Planning and execution of a smaller project or defined piece of a larger project. This includes constructing detailed, accurate project schedules, interfacing with development groups and technical support groups
4) Develops integrated device drivers for interfacing between hardware and software (e.g. UART/SPI/CAN/I2C)
5) Develops and designs enhancements and maintenance updates to firmware within Embedded and Real Time Operating Systems.
6) Collaborates with internal cross functional teams, end users, and third party contacts to design, develop, document and maintain software architecture deliverables for various projects for embedded software.
7) Drives the application of principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and testing techniques.
8) Ability to prioritize multiple tasks both within a single workstream or may support multiple workstreams as a subject matter expert
9) Owns and drives continuous improvement activities by identifying and appropriately escalating process and product quality gaps.
1) B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or related field and 8-10 year related experience.
2) 8+ years of total experience in software development
3) 6+ years of experience in real-time and/or embedded software development utilizing real-time/embedded operating systems (e.g. Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS, VxWorks, etc).
4) 5+ years of experience with Object-oriented programming language design (e.g. Java, C#, C++).
5) Experienced hardware degugging experience between hardware and software issues using tools such as oscilloscopes, Simulators, In-circuit emulators, etc.
6) Passionate about software quality and be prepared to advocate on behalf of good process and best practices.
7) Experience in technical leadership of project teams including SW Architects and design engineers
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.