The Massachusetts State Ethics Commission is an independent state agency that administers and civilly enforces the provisions of the conflict of interest and financial disclosure laws. The mission of the Commission is to foster integrity in public service in state, county and municipal government, to promote the public's trust and confidence in that service, and to prevent conflicts between private interests and public duties. The Commission strives to accomplish this mission by conducting educational programs, providing clear and timely advice, and fairly and impartially interpreting and enforcing the conflict of interest and financial disclosure laws. Please see our website for more information: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/state-ethics-commission.
The State Ethics Commission seeks candidates for the full-time position of Special Investigator. The Special Investigator conducts investigations into alleged violations of Chapter 268A, the Conflict of Interest Law and Chapter 268B, the Financial Disclosure Law.
The Special Investigator will be a member of the Commission’s Enforcement Division and will report to the Enforcement Division Chief. The Special Investigator will often work with and under the direction of Enforcement Division attorneys.
The Special Investigator will:
- Conduct confidential investigations, often of a highly sensitive and/or complex nature, to determine violations of Chapters 268A and 268B.
- Perform complaint intake, including receiving allegations by letter, phone, email submission, or in person, and inputting complaints using applicable software.
- Conduct the initial review and informal investigation into complaints alleging of violations of the Conflict of Interest and/or Financial Disclosure Laws by interviewing witnesses, preparing interview reports, and obtaining and analyzing documents.
- Make initial written recommendations for resolving complaints and conduct additional investigation as directed by the Enforcement Division Chief.
- Assist attorneys in obtaining sworn testimony and/or production of documents.
- Assist attorneys in preparing for Commission adjudicatory hearings.
- Testify at adjudicatory hearings to present information or evidence, where appropriate.
- Perform other such duties as are assigned by the Enforcement Division Chief.
A bachelor’s degree and two or more years of experience in an investigatory capacity.
Ability to appropriately apply basic principles and techniques of investigative analysis and research.
Ability to analyze and present verbally and in writing complex information.
Ability to gather information by examining records and documents.
Ability to write clearly and concisely.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to accurately record information provided orally.
Ability to be discreet and keep investigations confidential.
Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
Ability to interact well with persons under stress.
Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Software.
Working knowledge of Chapter 268A and 268B.
Familiarity with municipal, county and state government in Massachusetts.
Ability to understand complex financial transactions.
The salary range for this position is $52,000 to $75,000 annually. This position is funded from the Commonwealth’s annual operating budget and is subject to appropriation.
How to Apply:
Persons interested in being considered for this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Monica Brookman, Enforcement Division Chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 13, 2019. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
The State Ethics Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other factors protected by law.
Spec Investigator/Analyst, ETH
United States-Massachusetts-Boston-1 Ashburton Place
Compliance and Certification
State Ethics Commission
Aug 23, 2019, 8:14:03 AM
Number of Openings:
52,000.00 - 75,000.00 Yearly
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Alice Wu - 617-371-9500