Bridgewater Associates is focused on understanding how the world works. By having the deepest possible understanding of the global economy and financial markets, and translating that understanding into great portfolios and strategic partnerships with institutional clients, we've built a distinct track record of success. We've done this for more than 40 years by having great people operate in a culture of radical truth and radical transparency. Today, we manage about $160 billion for approximately 350 of the largest and most sophisticated global institutional clients including public and corporate pension funds, university endowments, charitable foundations, supranational agencies, sovereign wealth funds, and central banks.
Operations Department Overview:
The goal of the Operations Department is to enable Bridgewater's ongoing investment engine and client requirements by proactively driving solutions through effective management of Operations people, process, partners and solutions in a principled way. Overall responsibilities include:
- Providing trade life cycle and portfolio control support (e.g. trade confirmation, collateral, reconciliation)
- Providing investor and fund services (e.g. on/off-boarding of investors & various investor and regulatory reporting)
- Ensuring accurate accounting books and records and associated reporting (e.g. NAV);
- Liaising with Audit, Tax, and Compliance to ensure compliance with ongoing regulatory requirements for BW, it's funds and clients
- Driving industry leading back-office solutions and engaging in thought leadership and strategic partnerships with
- Internal and external stakeholders to shape key outcomes (e.g., BW Front Office, vendors)
Bridgewater has grown rapidly in recent years, transforming from an investment boutique to a leading global institutional asset manager. To manage this excellently, Bridgewater has placed explicit focus on evolving our world-class investment and support infrastructure inclusive of utilizing external partners for key processes. Since Operations processes are mission-critical, the department has evolved the way in which it meets its goals and responsibilities. Bridgewater now operates a unique and innovative "tri-party model" that enables us to remain responsible for investment management and oversight of our back office, while also taking advantage of the independent processes and technology of two strategic partners who are industry leaders in this space.
The role of Operations Associate in Operations is comprised of (1) monitoring and managing the deliverables and performance of outsource providers, (2) operating internal processes and procedures and (3) improving and evolving both (e.g. participating in initiatives enabling support of new products, markets and unique investor requirements, enhancing processes and controls, etc).
One of the key advantages of the role of the Operations Associate as compared to a traditional Operations role is that Associates are developed more as "generalists" who can understand the end-to-end processes, as opposed to being specialists in a particular product or process.
We are seeking motivated, agile and results-oriented people to be part of the team critical to enabling Bridgewater to implement new investment ideas rapidly and meet the increasingly sophisticated needs of our clients.
Responsibilities would include:
- Provide Quality Control oversight of Outsource partners to ensure mission-critical Operations responsibilities are met including excellent escalating and trouble-shooting of problems
- Produce various internal and external reporting, including but not limited to client, regulatory, risk & control and management metrics
- Act as liaison between outsource partner(s) and internal BW departments (e.g. trading, client service) for queries and on various projects and initiatives
- Identify problems and inefficiencies with various process and develop and implement solutions (e.g. streamline redundant processes, automate controls & reports, etc)
- Contribute towards training, testing, and certification of other Associates over time to ensure a high level of cross-training and fungibility
- Bachelor's degree, demonstrating a strong academic record from a competitive school
- 2-7 years' experience in financial services Operations and/or Investor Services (e.g. investment banking, hedge fund administration, hedge fund, investment bank setting or consulting firm (Operations specific consulting)
- Strong skills in relevant software applications, particularly Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint. Data manipulation and coding skills are also valuable (e.g. pivot tables, macros, VBA, SQL, "R", etc)
- Strong sense of personal responsibility, ownership mentality, reliability, results-orientation
- Excellent ability to detect and trouble-shoot problems, logical reasoning, and common sense
- Process orientation (ability to both follow and streamline machines)
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to hold others accountable
- Learning agility and flexibility to keep up with what can be an uncertain and/or changing environment
Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.