Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We're making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
Petco Animal Supplies Stores, Inc. has a paid summer internship available in its Local & Experiential department with a focus on content marketing and strategy. This internship is based in San Diego, CA. The pay will be $18/hour.
This is a paid internship and offers hands-on learning and exposure to core areas of In-store and Community Events & Experiences.
Assigned Projects may include work in the following areas:
Support Grand Opening/Remodel marketing initiatives by researching trends, creating marketing timelines, coordinating production of communication materials and pulling redemption reports and analytics.
In Store Events- collaborate on customer facing marketing assets, schedule meetings with prospective and current vendors and business partners, manage timeline for events, assist with/write partner facing communications.
Set up key local business teams (stores and their field team) for success in growing their business. May include research on the local business challenges and opportunities, helping to define customer journey taking into account community considerations, designing messaging and events and their assets/collateral, and gathering learnings + sharing out findings that can optimize future strategies.
Help deliver a ‘library’ of activations that stores/teams could access or request with business cases, in order to support their more specific needs.
What to Expect:
The Petco internship Program is a 10 week opportunity in San Diego, CA, beginning on June 3, 2019. The intern will be expected to work 40 hours/week, Monday – Friday. When applicable, some interns may travel to various store sites, distribution centers or other corporate locations.
At the beginning of the internship, you will be assigned a project that is relevant to your field of study to work on during your tenure with us. You will be asked to deliver a capstone presentation at the conclusion of the internship to peers and business leaders summarizing your work at Petco.
You will be given the opportunity to work with a dedicated mentor that will be a valuable resource for you. Your mentor will work in your same department and is there to provide you with regular guidance and feedback.
While working at the Petco National Support Center in San Diego, you will be able to take advantage of the many on-site features of our pet-friendly campus, including a fitness center with yoga studio, basketball court, walking trail, Petco Café and Starbucks.
Preferred Major/Field of Study:
A GPA of 3.2 or higher is preferred.
Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program.
A successful intern candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Planning and Execution: Asks questions to clarify assignments and priorities. Deals with high-priority work activities first. Makes sure work is done correctly. Surfaces problems and issues with speed and accuracy.
- Drive for Results: Takes personal responsibility to take action. Puts extra effort and work to accomplish important results. Sets high standards for his/her own performance. Finishes assignments and tasks in a timely manner.
- Process Improvement: Suggests process and practice improvement ideas. Accurately reports process improvement data. Carefully monitors the accuracy and quality of outputs, products and services. Makes suggestions to address problems and process breakdowns.
- Communication: Listens carefully to others. Communicates clearly and concisely. Provides appropriate level of detail in communications. Writes with accuracy, simplicity and completeness. Keeps others informed.
- Build Collaborative Relationships: Relates to others in an accepting and respectful way, regardless of their personality or background. Builds relationships by identifying and discussing common interests and priorities. Remains positive and respectful, even in difficult situations. Involves others as appropriate when issues affect them.