Satellite Solutions Engineer
6 Months Plus
$35.00- $38.00 per hour
US Citizen, GC Holders or Authorized to Work in the US
TekPartners has some of the most sought after Information Technology positions available. As a reputable company in the IT staffing industry, you can trust us to place you in the right position. We currently have an opportunity for a Satellite Solutions Engineer in Miami, FL.
The responsibility of the Satellite Solutions Engineer is to assist the engineering, shipboard IT Officers with supporting and maintaining shipboard satellite systems with a high degree of availability. They will function as a champion for the VSAT solutions, and as a liaison between vendors, shore-side IT support teams and the IT Officers with the goal of resolving issues within SLA's and to maximize guest and crew satisfaction. The engineer will serve as the key resource for the operating companies in terms of satellite and telecommunications services implementation and operational engineering support. This position will work closely with OneIT Infrastructure team members, and Operating Company's technical representatives.
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of satellite communications. Detailed knowledge of iDirect, and/or Comtech Satellite Baseband Infrastructure. Satellite antennae (C-Band, Ka and Ku), satellite bandwidth pooling, QoS.
- Experience with internet optimization products/appliances such as caching, pre-fetch, compression, and others. Experience with Riverbed products a plus.
- Strong Troubleshooting skills in RF/Satellite Communication systems and/or TCP/IP networks. Experience deploying, configuring, troubleshooting Wi-Fi systems, preferably in large enterprises.
- Must have excellent system level troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with network equipment, testing, troubleshooting, specification of hardware and software.
- Operational knowledge of satellite mobile networks desirable, preferably with previous work experience in Seatel and Intellian stabilized satellite systems or similar.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Networking protocols and standards, routing, multicast, testing of IP based Layer 2 and Layer 3 devices, applications and QoS.
- Experienced in the operation of IP networks and computer systems. Cisco CCNA or CCNP and/or Linux certification is desired. Working knowledge of Satellite RF sub-systems (Block Up Converters, LNBs, antennas) is helpful.
- Ability to capture and analyze IP packets using tools like Ethereal or Tcpdump. Experienced in supporting installations, upgrades, and system integration efforts.
- Must be competent with interpreting and using electrical and mechanical engineering drawings, cables lists and similar documents.
- Must be proficient with electrical and communications wiring, operation and setup of personal computers. Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Ability to build and maintain close relationship with suppliers and subcontractors.
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, and weekends when required during critical outages or transitions.
- Must be able to effectively communicate issues. Professional written, presentation and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to collaborate well across geographically diverse teams.
- Passionate about service. Passionate about making a positive difference.
- Must be experienced in incident management and IT life-cycled in accordance with ITIL.
Advanced degree preferred. Technical certifications a plus.
Our benefits package includes:
- Monitor shipboard telecommunications and satellite systems Assist the Global Connectivity team with monitoring and troubleshooting the fleet's satellite service status and escalate issues to service providers. Work together with partner engineers to follow-up on progress and validate performance.
- Fault Identification, Troubleshooting and Issue Resolution Assist the IT officers and satellite bandwdith managed service providers to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve shipboard related issues. Collect data and provide analyze report to support the team toward a solution. Maintain a knowledge base that is available to the global connectivity team that will be updated as each issue is resolved. Escalate to service providers and other support teams as needed and increase the efficiency and subject matter expertise of the IT team.
- Operations monitoring, availability & performance (Guest/Crew experience End-to-End) Monitor performance and availability metrics to support OneIT team in delivering services to guests and crew that exceed their expectations. Review IT officer status reports and assist with incident and problem escalation.
- Infrastructure health monitoring Assist with monitoring of networks, routers, firewalls, WAN optimization.
- Documentation and specifications Assist other teams with defining and developing infrastructure design and procedures. Work as necessary assisting Operations and service partners to validate, isolate, and resolve issues during pilot and production phases; work with Product Management teams at operating companies to define product specifications as they relate to shipboard systems. Assist with assessments to ascertain suitability of off-the-shelf or internal build of system components.
- Provide on-site support for projects such as dry-docks and new-builds for VSAT, fiber optic, antenna and associated infrastructure that enables satellite connectivity. Serve as the subject matter expert on stabilized antennas, satellite modem technology, and fiber optic systems.
- Provide on-call support Shared 24x7 on-call duties according to a set schedule.
- Provide support to iCafé system; monitor health, perform root cause analysis, troubleshoot incidents, maintain documentation and test new features.
- Comprehensive Medical Benefits
- Competitive Pay, 401K
- Retirement Plan
- And Much More
TekPartners is one of the fastest growing private staffing firms in the United States. We are a premier provider of highly qualified IT talent, Workforce Solutions and Business Intelligence Solutions to many enterprise organizations across the nation. As experts in the industry, our team continues to match proven talent to the right job opportunity every day.
TekPartners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.